killifish in hard water?

Sora

I was thinking of getting a killifish for my community tank, but I’m not sure if he would do well with my water parameters. I have a ph of around 7.6-8 (it’s hard to tell with api) and a gh of 13  (230 ppm). Also are they aggressive? I was looking at the Gardneri killi and the golden wonder killi. Thanks!

• Like 1

We have very hard water, pH sits around 8.5 and gh maxes out test strips, and we have no issues keeping either species. As long as the tank is well seasoned and water is clean, you're go to go.

They'll eat anything that'll fit in their mouth, but I wouldn't say they're aggressive. Males can get a bit territorial, but generally leave other fish alone.

• Like 1

Killifish is a large group most of them are pretty adaptable when it comes to water parameters.

I know very little about golden wonder but from what I've heard they are ok in community tanks as long as nothing fits in their mouth.

Fundulopanchax Gardneri i would describe more as hangry. Most killis have a faster metabolism and when other fish out compete then for food they get grumpy.

Aphyosemion striatum (and others in that genus) may be good too. They're more shy so you'll want to make sure they are getting food.

They especially like swimming through plants and exploring. Plants also help females hide when the males are too pushy.

Then of course always have a lid. Jumping is a way of life for them in the wild so if there's even a little one inch gap they'll go for it. I even found one stuck on to of salvinia after a failed jump. Luckily he hadn't been there long.

On 6/2/2023 at 6:11 PM, Schuyler said:

Killifish is a large group most of them are pretty adaptable when it comes to water parameters.

I know very little about golden wonder but from what I've heard they are ok in community tanks as long as nothing fits in their mouth.

Fundulopanchax Gardneri i would describe more as hangry. Most killis have a faster metabolism and when other fish out compete then for food they get grumpy.

Aphyosemion striatum (and others in that genus) may be good too. They're more shy so you'll want to make sure they are getting food.

They especially like swimming through plants and exploring. Plants also help females hide when the males are too pushy.

Then of course always have a lid. Jumping is a way of life for them in the wild so if there's even a little one inch gap they'll go for it. I even found one stuck on to of salvinia after a failed jump. Luckily he hadn't been there long.

Do you think I could keep a pair of the gardneris? or would just one do okay by itself? the only fish I have in the tank currently are corys, and might get some sort of schooling fish in the future.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2023 at 9:27 AM, Sora said:

Do you think I could keep a pair of the gardneris? or would just one do okay by itself? the only fish I have in the tank currently are corys, and might get some sort of schooling fish in the future.

May as well do a pair, you'll probably get some fry. I haven't really seen them sold individually. If you go with schooling fish I would avoid anything with long fins just in case but that's just my paranoia, it could be fine.

• Like 1