Snail ID Please

MTS yes.

If it is this size, very likely had babies. These guys can survive everything I believe with their trapdoor being shut strictly 😄

In my experience if the sand is super compact, they can't go in and turn it over well. They were amazing at burying in my JBL monado clay based substrate. 

On normal river sand? they can't bury themself at all.

On 5/6/2023 at 4:27 PM, Lennie said:

MTS yes.

If it is this size, very likely had babies. These guys can survive everything I believe with their trapdoor being shut strictly 😄

In my experience if the sand is super compact, they can't go in and turn it over well. They were amazing at burying in my JBL monado clay based substrate. 

On normal river sand? they can't bury themself at all.

Hmm ok so the next question is what do I do with him/her? With feeding mysteries all the time would I have 1,000,000 in the future? 

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea

On 5/6/2023 at 11:43 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Hmm ok so the next question is what do I do with him/her? With feeding mysteries all the time would I have 1,000,000 in the future? 

Frankly, yes. 

I gravel vac my tank every week, and cleaned every source of food that is available to them, added competition on algae, bottom dwellers, other snails, etc. And they were still really high in numbers. I even stopped feeding my pleco after lights off, and removed catappa leaf from that old 29g, didnt make much difference ngl.

Are they bad? not at all. You know the pest snails. They are pretty good, but can they me unpleasing to watch. Because in my experience, babies don't bother hiding during daytime like adults. They are basically everywhere. Especially on the water surface sailing around. 

I currently have them in my endler tub only. Great clean up crew, not really good algae eaters tho. As I can only watch the tub from above, it does not bother me. These guys actually have pretty shells. 

But they are the hardiest thing ever, and controlling population is pretty hard. They eliminated bladder snails from my tanks. I don't wanna say anything more 

Eh. I put it in the shrimp tank. I can’t/won’t gravel vac that tank because clear shrimplets that I can’t really see. If left in the 29g it would be out of control, due to having to feed the mystery snails. Maybe it (and it’s friend) could be good tankmates and they can turn over the sand and keep it looking nice. But when I get overrun you can say I told you so. 😂

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 1

On 5/7/2023 at 12:23 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Eh. I put it in the shrimp tank. I can’t/won’t gravel vac that tank because clear shrimplets that I can’t really see. If left in the 29g it would be out of control, due to having to feed the mystery snails.

Sounds like the best idea