Trimming and Replanting Stem Plants

I was looking at my stem plants. They're pretty at the top but get a bit uglier towards the bottom, like discolored leaves, looks like some dark algae, etc. This is no competition tank by any means, so I'm not worried about winning awards, but I do want to keep them healthy. I read an article that said over time plants get worn out from trimming, so it's good to pull them all up, trim off the good tops to replant, and throw out the worn out lower parts. Any thoughts on that philosophy?

IMG20230327100144.jpg.2254da6abad3350e8d43c4e9c3dd1760.jpg

IMG20230327100220.jpg.a973d53f6288268683625130d5ab45b8.jpg

• Like 1

I wouldn't tear out the roots, I don't think.  I would trim closer to the base and let it send up new shoots from there.  Could just do one and see what happens?  Seems a waste to pull it all up and discard the roots?

I usually do something like this because when I set up a new tank I put cuttings in from other thanks.  Inevitably the new tank has a big algae growth period initially, so then I trim back those heavily covered parts and let it regrow.  You've almost got the reverse situation there.  But I don't see why you couldn't do the same thing.  You could cut down low then cut off the algae'd portion and replant the cleaner tips and see if it sends up new shoots.

Edited by jwcarlson
  • Like 2

On 3/27/2023 at 11:11 AM, jwcarlson said:

You've almost got the reverse situation there.  But I don't see why you couldn't do the same thing.  You could cut down low then cut off the algae'd portion and replant the cleaner tips and see if it sends up new shoots.

I like it, thanks! 

• Like 1