rubbermaid 100 gallon stocking tank & green sunfish

Hi everyone; in a previous post i said i gotten some young green sunfish recently. they are only maybe 2 inches big i was thinking of using the 200 Rubbermaid livestock container as an outside tank for them. i was going have it planted with so tiger lilies, anacheris, spiral Vallisneria, rough horsetail and driftwood with some Fissidens fontanus.any thoughts on this making setup better would be appreciated.TIA

adult green sunfish.jpg

rubbermaid stock tank 100 gallon.jpg

• Like 1

I really look forward to seeing what you come up with! :classic_biggrin: I've only got a 20 gal little porch pond and hope to do something this size in the future.   One thing I do that the fish seem to really like, is to have terracotta pots of several sizes laying on their sides. It creates perfect cover for fish when they want to be out of sight. :classic_biggrin:

I don't know anything about those totes.  But if I had something like that I would plumb an elbow up from that drain and then leave a coupling a few inches above your substrate.  Then have a few pieces of PVC of different lengths... you can slide them into the coupling, turn the valve, and it drains to the level of whatever pipe you put in.  Can guard it for fish if needed. 

Edited by jwcarlson
  • Like 1

On 3/13/2023 at 9:34 AM, jwcarlson said:

I don't know anything about those totes.  But if I had something like that I would plumb an elbow up from that drain and then leave a coupling a few inches above your substrate.  Then have a few pieces of PVC of different lengths... you can slide them into the coupling, turn the valve, and it drains to the level of whatever pipe you put in.  Can guard it for fish if needed. 

I have a python that I can setup that can drain or put water in.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2023 at 12:25 AM, plantedtanks1052 said:

I have a python that I can setup that can drain or put water in.

Yes, but you have to attend all of that. :). This would be basically automatic except for filling.  But would just need to set a timer.  Would probably be faster too.