Brown hair algae?

Plant folks, I need a little help. This is a 5.5g and has a Hygger light. Started on the 24/7 mode (I think that’s like 16 hr or so) and was getting brown algae. Then I reduced it to 12 hr, and now it’s at 10. Over the course of a few months. I’m having trouble controlling this hair algae. Each week I scrub some off with a toothbrush but it comes right back in a few days.

The sword, lily, and crypt get root tabs and I try* to put Easy Green during the water change, according to full tank dosage on bottle (*but I usually forget to add it). Tank temp is at 80 and has 5-10 nitrates. I do add IAL tea as well during the water changes, and Prime is my dechlorinator. The pothos is there because Geppetto likes to rest on the leaves. 

There’s an option to go down to 6H but I hesitate using it because I do tank maintenance or feed in the morning, and when I get home I want the light to be on so I can enjoy my fish. Willing to try it if there’s no alternative.

0072B369-8209-48E6-B149-CF58CBF9733A.jpeg

3EBF105E-129B-4C6A-870B-69EB797CBFCE.jpeg

BADF1FA3-6A92-4559-A25E-59FC516C8F44.jpeg

0371646D-1063-44CD-945F-2AA284762194.jpeg

Floating plants? 🤔

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea

Have you tried lowering the brightness of the light? It could be too much PAR, but that's just one of many things that can contribute to algae growth.

You can also cut/pluck damaged leaves or if they have algae on them. I'd also add more plants (stem plants) that are quick growers or some floaters.

Do you add root tabs every time you do maintenance?

• Thanks 1

On 3/12/2023 at 4:11 PM, knee said:

Have you tried lowering the brightness of the light? It could be too much PAR, but that's just one of many things that can contribute to algae growth.

You can also cut/pluck damaged leaves or if they have algae on them. I'd also add more plants (stem plants) that are quick growers or some floaters.

Do you add root tabs every time you do maintenance?

No, I add them once a month. The light kind of auto adjusts its brightness. When I initially set the timer it looks dim, brightens itself throughout the day, then dims again and shuts off.

On 3/12/2023 at 4:11 PM, knee said:

I'd also add more plants (stem plants)

Recently added some s. Repens about a week ago. Might take a few for them to get going.

04C38838-BFC0-49FE-8593-61B2A73D1DEA.jpeg

55AAF37B-1DD6-44D4-A8B1-5A434687FF2F.jpeg

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea

I looked up your light and you can still adjust the brightness of it even if you have it programmed for sunrise/sunset. Do you still have the manual?

On 3/12/2023 at 1:12 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

No, I add them once a month.

Try not adding anymore and just focus on dosing water column. All the plants you keep will also feed from the water.

• Like 1