Molly Tank Mate?

Louise02

These sort of questions require information such as tank size and water parameters. A fish that can potentially live with a molly but maybe not suitable for your water or X gallon tank that you are keeping your molly in.

So it would be nice if you may provide information and people who have experience with mollys may help further

On 3/3/2023 at 1:23 AM, Lennie said:

These sort of questions require information such as tank size and water parameters. A fish that can potentially live with a molly but maybe not suitable for your water or X gallon tank that you are keeping your molly in.

So it would be nice if you may provide information and people who have experience with mollys may help further

Thank you.  The reason that I did not give tank size and parameters is that this single molly is in a five-gallon.  I am trying to decide if I should move him to a 10-gallon or 30-gallon.  I would not add other fish to the five-gallon that he is currently in- I would move him to a new set up.  I wanted to plan which fish would join him before setting up the new tank.  

• Like 2

On 3/3/2023 at 2:21 AM, Louise02 said:

What do I do with a single male molly?  Is it best to just get a few females?  

Mollies are great fish. But they do breed like crazy, so if you got your guy, a few females, it would not be long before the tank was overcrowded no matter how large. I have one Molly in each of my 20 gallon tanks along with other peaceful fish like platies, guppies and white cloud Mountain minnows. 

Technically mollies can hybridize with guppies and produce offspring. I don’t know how common this is, but since I don’t want mine to breed I keep a male molly with my male guppies and a female molly with my female guppies.

I would definitely recommend a 30 gallon tank over a 10 gallon tank, just because they are so much more fun to decorate and grow plants in to really make your fish A happy little world.

• Like 1