Well hello there... hitchhiker...

Martin

Hey gang!  I purchased a few floating plants online and got something... extra!  The plant is super small; leaflets about 1mm long.  For those of you who have grown Amazon frogbit before, it looks exactly like their offspring, however I've been watching them for a while now and they are not growing like frogbit would.  They appear to stay that small size and multiply.  Fortunately, I have the plants isolated so I can pick them out if needed.  Can anyone ID this guy?

20230227_101821.jpg

20230227_101853.jpg

It is duckweed 😄

If you have other  good floating plants, and it seems like u have, I would get rid of it.

It makes maintenance time painful and compete other plants for nutritions imo. Enjoy your red root floaters and salvinia instead 

Edited by Lennie
  • Thanks 1

Lol.  In the back of my mind, I knew it was duckweed.  I've never had it before, but I said to myself, "Hmm... it's growing pretty quick and I can see it being an absolute pain in my ass later... it's probably duckweed." 🤣  Thank you guys!

• Haha 1

On 2/27/2023 at 9:11 PM, Miska said:

I love duckweed. You can blend it and feed it to your fishies if they are veg eaters. My endlers loooove it. I've done it one time lmao.

I feed mine to my chickens! But that still makes the maintenance painful, you can't limit their position and numbers easily like other floating plants, and it is more like I am trying to create a positive side of having it, as it is almost impossible to get rid of it anyway 😄

I would get rid of it on day one if I had the chance tho. I let it grow intentionally back in the day. Big mistake 😄

Edited by Lennie