Identifying Algae

On 2/26/2023 at 6:31 PM, Xr4tiCrew said:

Assuming this is Staghorn Algae? If so what are some ways to get rid of it? 

Prevention is the first step. What are your water parameters, and what is the lighting situation? Something is out of balance. The hard part is finding the right combination of nitrates and light. Just enough for the plants to thrive but not enough left over for the algae.

Regarding killing the algae, I've had good luck spot-treating with Easy Carbon as a first option, then API Fix for a few stubborn spots. In my experience, treating the water column does nothing. It takes a few days to get it all, but the treatment works. Once the algae are dying, shrimp and some types of fish will start picking at it. Good luck!

A side note as this is controversial:  For plants attached to hardscape, I've had success with removing the plant, spraying the algae with 3% hydrogen peroxide, and letting it sit for 2-3 minutes. Rinse off and put the plant back.  The algae die off within a day or two, but there is a risk to the plant.  I've burned a few leaves that way.  Some people also spot treat with peroxide directly into the aquarium, but that practice has its risks too.  

Edited by PaigeIs
  • Love 1

On 2/27/2023 at 4:32 PM, Kurt Brutting said:

Nerite Snails do a good job eating Staghorn algae. Snails and floating plants and my favorite for fighting algae. 

not a huge fan of snails but I might give it a shot. Just really trying to figure out how i can control it. IE, am I using to much easy green, lights on too long, bigger percentage of water changes each week. I am also noticing excessive algae in my 2 month old 20g long so not sure what I’m doing wrong.