Red Emerald Philodenron rooting bare in tank

I wish the photos were better. I bought these 2 un rooted cutting on ebay, organic, from the sellers yard. I loved the underwater roots, so I wanted to share. The lower photo was the day I got them in the mail. The upper one is the roots that grew in the tank. It was resting on the driftwood snaking in the lower photo. ( I think the driftwood looks like a sea serpant.) 

RedEmeralroots.jpg.437019bb168bdc616b405444bf984d73.jpg

redEmerals.jpg.c3eceb9cd59dc5d8beda9e9dba899b82.jpg

Edited by KittenFishMom
  • Love 1

On 2/25/2023 at 9:20 PM, KittenFishMom said:

I wish the photos were better. I bought these 2 un rooted cutting on ebay, organic, from the sellers yard. I loved the underwater roots, so I wanted to share. The lower photo was the day I got them in the mail. The upper one is the roots that grew in the tank. It was resting on the driftwood snaking in the lower photo. ( I think the driftwood looks like a sea serpant.) 

RedEmeralroots.jpg.437019bb168bdc616b405444bf984d73.jpg

WOW! That looks awesome! I also love the rooted look, I may have to try this out!!

@Dtolb15 The fish love swimming around the roots too. Snails haven't bothered them at all. I over feed the fish a bit, and use some Easy Green. There is organic potting soil under the sand cap. The Red Emerald stems go about a quarter of the way down to the bottom.

Note: rooting a whole turnup from the grocery store in the outflow of an HOB gives you beautiful flowing roots that gobble up nitrogen and put out nice deep green leaves. Only a gardener would notice the white bulb with the purple top 😉

• Like 2