Updated: Ranchu Goldfish

Sharelleshobbies

update: thanks for the help everyone! I am glad I reached out before changing my whole setup.  I am putting Ranchu Goldfish on my “someday” list. When we get a bigger house with space for a larger tank ☺️😅

Hey there! My daughter and I fell in love with the adorable ranchu goldfish.  They are so cute! I’ve done lots of research and I’m thinking about converting my 36 gallon tank to hold two of them. The problem is that I know that they require lots of work with water changes and extra filtration, especially with smaller tanks. My question is- before I invest $100+ for a couple 3” ones- is 36 gallons too small?? Will it be a headache?? If it wouldn’t be a good fit- what are some friendly fish that have fun personalities??  No livebearers please. After the headache of dealing with hundreds of baby guppies, I don’t want to go that route again.  Thanks for all the help. 

Edited by Sharelleshobbies

On 2/17/2023 at 4:19 PM, Sharelleshobbies said:

Figured that would be the answer, but we had to dream lol.

30 inches long, 13 inches wide, and 19 inches deep.

Is this 13 inches front to back and 19 inches top to bottom? 

Do you want one or two fish only or a community of some small fishes with a centerpiece fish? 

• Like 1

On 2/17/2023 at 5:40 PM, knee said:

Is this 13 inches front to back and 19 inches top to bottom? 

Do you want one or two fish only or a community of some small fishes with a centerpiece fish? 

Yes.  19 inches from top to bottom.

a centerpiece fish with a community.

something with kuhli loaches, Hillstream loach, and mystery snail.

On 2/17/2023 at 4:51 PM, Sharelleshobbies said:

Yes.  19 inches from top to bottom.

Do you have any experience with Bolivian Rams? They're a very peaceful dwarf cichlid that will do well with the kuhlis, hillstream and mystery snail. You can get one or a pair in the 36 and get some schooling/shoaling fish. I prefer rasboras because they are more active compared to some more popular tetras (neon, ember). 

• Like 1

On 2/17/2023 at 6:19 PM, knee said:

Do you have any experience with Bolivian Rams? They're a very peaceful dwarf cichlid that will do well with the kuhlis, hillstream and mystery snail. You can get one or a pair in the 36 and get some schooling/shoaling fish. I prefer rasboras because they are more active compared to some more popular tetras (neon, ember). 

Thanks so much for looking into this for me! This is a wonderful suggestion. I don’t have experience with rams but I will look into it. Do you have any recommendations for purchasing rams? 

• Like 1

On 2/18/2023 at 3:51 AM, Sharelleshobbies said:

Sadly goldfish is not a good tank member to most community tanks and has very few tankmates that you can keep them with, due to them trying to eat everything and preferring different water parameters than most community fish. I would not keep a goldfish with any of these options, they would surely try to eat any of them tbh, and mystery snails and kuhlis would prefer warmer temps while hillstreams would want high flow which are both bad for goldfish.

@knee wouldnt rams may hurt mystery snails? I’ve never kept them together but antennas may be too tempting

• Like 1

@Lennie they don’t care for them that much and I keep 10 rams. Never seen the rams even touch the snails unless they have eggs. The swordtails are worse on the mystery snails because they don’t just bite the antenna, they would bite whatever flesh is exposed. I’m actually giving them away for that reason. I love mystery snails more than swords 😂

@Sharelleshobbies I would suggest buying them from a store local to you. That’s to make the transition easier since you’d most likely have the same or at least similar water with your LFS. 

• Like 2

On 2/17/2023 at 7:09 PM, Lennie said:

Sadly goldfish is not a good tank member to most community tanks and has very few tankmates that you can keep them with, due to them trying to eat everything and preferring different water parameters than most community fish. I would not keep a goldfish with any of these options, they would surely try to eat any of them tbh, and mystery snails and kuhlis would prefer warmer temps while hillstreams would want high flow which are both bad for goldfish.

@knee wouldnt rams may hurt mystery snails? I’ve never kept them together but antennas may be too tempting

I was planning on moving the loaches and snail to another tank, if the goldfish worked out, but it didn’t- so they’re staying. 😊

On 2/17/2023 at 7:39 PM, knee said:

@Lennie they don’t care for them that much and I keep 10 rams. Never seen the rams even touch the snails unless they have eggs. The swordtails are worse on the mystery snails because they don’t just bite the antenna, they would bite whatever flesh is exposed. I’m actually giving them away for that reason. I love mystery snails more than swords 😂

@Sharelleshobbies I would suggest buying them from a store local to you. That’s to make the transition easier since you’d most likely have the same or at least similar water with your LFS. 

I don’t think I’ve seen them locally, but maybe I’ll have to watch for them.

Edited by Sharelleshobbies

On 2/17/2023 at 7:06 PM, Sharelleshobbies said:

I don’t think I’ve seen them locally, but maybe I’ll have to watch for them.

You can always put the dither fish first. That will give them time to get used to the tank so that when you get your centerpiece fish they’d already be established in there. Not saying that the Bolivian ram is gonna attack them or anything but they do like when there’s a lot of movement on the top level the tank. It makes them more comfortable. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/18/2023 at 5:39 AM, knee said:

Swordtails and mollies are literally bullies. I can imagine! After seeing the topic here someones rams eating even adult shrimp, I would be scared of them with snails too. But maybe it is about developing a taste again. But I’ve never kepts rams, so no experience whatsoever here

I love snails a lot! And mysteries indeed have lots of chars 😄 they are really fun to watch. But holy cow they are always hungry🤣 they eat at least 4-5x more than my rabbits do daily.

Edited by Lennie