Stocking ideas needed - 10 gallon for the kids

Katherine

Something a little different, you could do gardener's Killifish. Super easy killis that love plants, eat anything, don't really need heaters, can handle less than idea water conditions, and they will have a few babies but not as crazy as livebearers. Plus they're super colorful.

• Like 2

Thank you everyone for the suggestions and things to consider.

We swung by one of the LFSs yesterday on the way home from their classes, as it's only 3 blocks away instead of almost half an hour if we go from home. They picked out their gravel, a few decorations, and a plant. They've also decided on a few more plants they want bits of from my tank.

They decided they'd rather have a hillstream loach than a pleco. And for fish they liked the neon tetras and harlequin rasboras, though we're certainly not settled on either those and at some point I'll go see what the other stores have that they might like.

I think we're going to get the tank started this afternoon, and then I'll start a journal for it. I'll post back here with a link at that point in case anyone is interested.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2023 at 3:12 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

disagree w/ her betta ranking. They are prone to fin rot, bloating, tail biting, and a number of different issues.

You haven’t had a good experience lately…

Id recommend nano Tetras, bamboo shrimp, and/or thread fin rainbows.

Edited by TheSwissAquarist

My kids LOVE Endler Livebearers. They are tiny and colorful and super entertaining to watch if you have multiple.

Pygmy Cories are another good option for the bottom dwellers. 

Any color of Cheery Shrimp (NeoCardina) would work too and the fact that they have babies is a huge fan favorite in my house.