Is this Danio pregnant?

Herefishie

I am new to the hobby. I purchased these 2 yellow and pink glowfish Danios not understanding exactly what I was buying. I didn't care about the glowfish part. Anyway, today I noticed that the yellow one looks like it has a huge belly. Am I over feeding it or is it possible it's a female and it's pregnant? 

8882233A-E188-4439-932E-1772C373C933.jpeg

On 2/9/2023 at 12:17 PM, Herefishie said:

Thanks for the lesson. As I said, I'm new to the hobby. Could you maybe answer my question? Does it look like it's full of eggs?

I’ve bred these before, and it’s very hard to tell the difference between a fat one and an eggbound one (I expect they’re often both!) if the scales are pineconeing (sticking out at weird angles) you’re dealing with a sickness.

Are you thinking about breeding them at all? 

• Thanks 1

On 2/9/2023 at 10:03 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

I’ve bred these before, and it’s very hard to tell the difference between a fat one and an eggbound one (I expect they’re often both!) if the scales are pineconeing (sticking out at weird angles) you’re dealing with a sickness.

Are you thinking about breeding them at all? 

Oh heavens no. Since I'm new to the hobby the last thing I need is to be breeding fish.  I had no idea what sex these two were when I bought them I didn't even give it any thought about them breeding. I will keep an eye on it. Thank you for your helpful information.

On 2/9/2023 at 7:38 PM, Herefishie said:

Oh heavens no. Since I'm new to the hobby the last thing I need is to be breeding fish.  I had no idea what sex these two were when I bought them I didn't even give it any thought about them breeding. I will keep an eye on it. Thank you for your helpful information.

When it comes to schooling fish (tetras, barbs, danios) sexing doesn’t really matter if it’s a decent group. It’s more centerpiece fish (bettas, Apistogramma) where sexing is very useful when putting together a tank.

• Thanks 1