Is the silicone going bad?

Ckline

Hello there, I have a 75 gallon aqueon aquarium that has been up and running for almost 4 years now. I've noticed these blotch marks in the silicone where it kinda looks patchy, like it has bubbled or blistered. Is this seal going bad? I would say its been getting progressively more noticeable within a year. 
FC92EFE9-FF56-4158-A43F-DCCF45FA08B4.jpeg.80b81e7b4d35a7da4edd2afa39d65c17.jpeg93079E6F-E131-498D-A47D-ACBD6C301FFE.jpeg.d0db5c21f119b6ecf74f90634535cbcb.jpeg5492D4C5-8CD5-4749-A4FF-A428008CD383.jpeg.287528ec8b84489d8046370e1a572bd9.jpeg

• Like 1

@MynameisnobodyI've got an empty 125 that I feel like I should reseal before I use it.  I've never done one before, but do have a 29 that I will practice on first.  When you're resealing do you strip it all the way down and break the glass/glass seam (separating all of the panels) or just clean the seams out and redo the internal parts?

On 2/8/2023 at 8:22 AM, jwcarlson said:

@MynameisnobodyI've got an empty 125 that I feel like I should reseal before I use it.  I've never done one before, but do have a 29 that I will practice on first.  When you're resealing do you strip it all the way down and break the glass/glass seam (separating all of the panels) or just clean the seams out and redo the internal parts?

I've done it both ways, but now break a tank all the way down and reseal it. That eliminates a seam between the old silicone and the new and leaves you with essentially a brand new tank. It's not a lot more work and makes for a better seal.

• Like 1

I'm trying to fight myself mentally, because I realize breaking it all the way down and doing it "right" is the best way to do it.  With a smaller tank, I don't think it would be that big of a deal.  But the 125, I am a bit nervous about.  Also have a 90 that I'll be picking up this spring at some point hopefully and am guessing it will need to be resealed as well.  Might as well figure out how to do it now.

Edited by jwcarlson

Some supplies I'd recommend are single edged razor blades, isopropyl alcohol, painters tape, fine sandpaper, extra silicone (you don't want to run out part way through) and some strong tape to help hold the corners together. Or corner clamps if you're into woodworking. The single-edged razor blades will make short work of the old silicone. The fine sandpaper can help remove any the razor blade misses. The painters tape lets you lay down perfectly straight lines of silicone.

It's not a terrible job. The fumes can get annoying, so be sure you have good airflow and keep your head out of the tank as much as possible. The fumes seem heavier than air, so they build up in the tank. As to curing time, the general rule is it's cured when you can no longer smell the silicone. I tend to wait a day or two longer just to be sure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@jwcarlson I didn’t see a reason to reseal and the thought of getting the bracing off without a hitch wasn’t something I was ready or willing to tackle. Obviously it’s much better to take everything apart, but if there are no bubbles/issues in between the glass panes, then simply resealing is perfectly adequate. You can watch some fish tubers doing a tutorial, it’s fairly simple as long as you remember the direction of the glass. Good luck 

• Like 1

On 2/8/2023 at 7:11 AM, Mynameisnobody said:

@Ckline I just resealed a 180 gallon and it’s silicone looked pretty much like the photo above. What I noticed was that the silicone was a bit weaker in those areas. Does it mean you should break your setup down to reseal? No. I’d keep an eye on any leaks and take action when needed. 

Thank you for the feedback!  I’ll probably keep an eye on it and start trying to contact aqueon.  In that same corner of the seam it looks what might be a really small bubble in the glass.  Presumably how much life do you think the tank still has?

On 2/8/2023 at 1:16 PM, MattyM said:

I believe larger aqueon tanks like yours have a lifetime warranty - might be worth emailing your pics to the company to see what they think. Good luck! 

I thought so, I’ll definitely have to look into it and see if i still have my purchase history from the petco. Thank you for the feedback!

• Like 1