Hair algae??

So… I get this algae off and on. It generally stays on the tips of my Val and doesn’t spread. But now it’s attacking my plants. It’s this strange brown hairy algae. I’ve also go green dust algae collecting on my tiger lotus, so I know something is out of whack. I’m just not sure how to figure out how. 
I’ve got 3 zebra Nerites, 3 horned Nerites, 6 Amanos, and 2 Ottos. No one seems to get rid of this stuff. 

water: 

29 gallon 

temp: 77

lights: 8 hours. 4 in morning. Break. 4 in the evening.

CO2: just added a month ago. Indicator turned green last week.

Ferts: root tabs and easy green,iron, Potassium once a month: 

water changes: every two weeks. 

levels: 

Nitrates: 20 

PH: 6.8 (lower than wanted. Working on it)

nitrites: 0 

72E12416-6244-468A-A328-16B218DAB4B3.jpeg

often hair algae is caused by too much iron. Nerite snails and otocinclus are flat algae eaters, they wont touch it, while amanos will eat it if they are hungry. I recommend fasting the tank for a week.  The animals (Assuming its not super young fry) will be fine, and the amanos should start working at the algae.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2023 at 3:06 PM, Lennie said:

Seems like staghorn algae to me. But I cannot see clearly, might be a mistake.

Can you google staghorn algae and compare it to yours in person? That might help!

Definitely staghorn! I was reading where people use injectable CO2 and spot treat. Anyone had success with that? I’ll take a break on fertilizer and do a short fast with the fish as well. 

On 1/23/2023 at 5:26 PM, J. Holmes said:

I was reading where people use injectable CO2 and spot treat. Anyone had success with that?

If you ask me, I would personally not use it, especially considering I am keeping shrimp and snails. It may work, but I don't wanna such stuff to my tank still. I think it is a better idea to dip stuff into it in a seperate container. I will share a video below 🙂 

you may check on this topic I've found. If I'm not wrong the guy who wrote the post in detail is a Biochemistry Professor (Dirk Bellstedt). At least it was mentioned as so in reddit. I directly link the related page where he commented on.

https://tropicalaquarium.co.za/threads/so-who-uses-excel-gluteraldehyde.5411/page-3

hope it helps,

here is the video:

On 1/23/2023 at 8:52 AM, Lennie said:

If you ask me, I would personally not use it, especially considering I am keeping shrimp and snails. It may work, but I don't wanna such stuff to my tank still. I think it is a better idea to dip stuff into it in a seperate container. I will share a video below 🙂 

I've used Excel a number of times and haven't noticed it harming my shrimp or snails.

I've found it to be fairly effective on black bearded algae and staghorn algae, and completely useless against hair algae.  Persistent removal by hand combined with regular water changes seems to be most effective against it (at least for me).

Edited by JettsPapa
  • Like 1

On 1/23/2023 at 11:37 AM, JettsPapa said:

I've used Excel a number of times and haven't noticed it harming my shrimp or snails.

I've found it to be fairly effective on black bearded algae and staghorn algae, and completely useless against hair algae.  Persistent removal by hand combined with regular water changes seems to be most effective against it (at least for me).

Did you just put it in the tank, remove the plant completely or just spot treat? It’s kinda in patches in mine and then has completely engulfed one plant. Buts it got very shallow roots and I’m not sure it could handle being pulled out and replanted. 

On 1/23/2023 at 10:43 AM, J. Holmes said:

Did you just put it in the tank, remove the plant completely or just spot treat? It’s kinda in patches in mine and then has completely engulfed one plant. Buts it got very shallow roots and I’m not sure it could handle being pulled out and replanted. 

I treat the whole tank.  The only time I've removed a plant and treated it separately was when I was trying to kill hair algae in a clump of java moss (it didn't work).

On 1/23/2023 at 11:24 AM, J. Holmes said:

I do not have jungle Val…. I don’t think 😬. Just Val that I bought from Coop a year ago 

Maybe I should have clarified.  Mine is corkscrew val.  I doubt the different varieties are affected differently by Excel, but I could be wrong.