how fast do hill stream loaches mature?

CT_

Out of curiosity, how long from fry to ready to mate for hillstream loaches?  I tried searching on line but I could only find basically one article recycled across 20 websites.  ( Ironically some embedded Cory's care video that contacted their advice)

I've been researching hillstream loach stuff lately too and I've found it doesn't seem to be as widely studied as other fish. I actually got a hybrid to pop out yet can't find much info in if thats even possible except 1 old forum post on another forum. That may be why you are having a hard time finding info 

• Like 1

On 1/2/2023 at 11:03 PM, Cinnebuns said:

I've been researching hillstream loach stuff lately too and I've found it doesn't seem to be as widely studied as other fish. I actually got a hybrid to pop out yet can't find much info in if thats even possible except 1 old forum post on another forum. That may be why you are having a hard time finding info 

You got a Sewellia spp. hybrid?  how fast did that grow?

Edited by CT_

On 1/3/2023 at 2:13 AM, CT_ said:

You got a Sewellia spp. hybrid?  how fast did that grow?

I just discovered it a week ago. Dad is sewellia lineolata and the mom is debatable. I ordered "reticulated hillstream loaches" from aquahuna months ago and just recently realized "one of these things is not like the others."  There's some debate in a fb group about 2 different species for her. BEAUFORTIA KWEICHOWENSIS is what I'm assuming she is as aquahuna also sells these. I assume she got mixed in. Another guy tho posed that b. Leveretti looks exactly the same and sometimes gets mixed in with s. Lineolata. Idk I've never heard of that before tho. 

Regardless, I've had her and the male in a tank with my other hillstreams in a different tank for almost 2 months now. I've seen spawning behavior from her before but always assumed it wouldn't amount to anything. Kinda like a mystery snail mounting another snail species. But about a week ago I found a fry that shocked me. I realized after awhile its a hillstream. I put it in my shrimp and cory fry tank and haven't seen it since so who knows. I'm assuming others were laid too and hatched in the main tank but hard to say who will survive the gauntlet. 

A lot of "I'm not sures" at this point lol

Oh this is the female. 

20221107_202120.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/3/2023 at 4:06 AM, CT_ said:

interesting!  if the fry makes it it'll be interesting to see how it looks, though I have to admit they mostly look alike to me.

It's hard to show in pictures unless I am able to get one of them side by side but there are noticeable differences. For one, she's much larger than all the others. She also has different patterns. I used to have a pic of the others but apparently I deleted it. Yesterday i cleaned out my phone of a ton of pics and videos. I'll try to take a new one tomorrow.