Suggestions for algae eaters for new tank?

Terry M

Hi folks, I have a new tank, my first planted one. I have only been running it for 2 weeks. My water parameters are a very steady 7.4 pH, 4-5 KH, 8-9 GH. Ammonia and nitrate are 0, nitrate goes from about 5-10 to 40+. I wish I'd had time to do a water change today, but it's Christmas Eve and I have no time due to the holiday. I'll do that first thing Monday morning. Again, it's a new tank, so I expect that to stabilize in the (hopefully) near future.

As you can see by the pics, I'm starting to develop what I believe to be green spot algae, brown diatoms and I believe I see some hair algae in there as well. I'm using a 24/7 programmable light and can't adjust the intensity on that one, so I'm going to switch to one with more customizable programs and decrease the time/intensity. There's no livestock in the tank at this point, but I would also like to get some algae eaters once it cycles. Any advice on what to get that would be suited to my water parameters? Thanks!79641124_Algae312-24-22.jpg.7f1ac7cf3b9bdf69989f2469c27c2782.jpg

Algae 1 12-24-22.jpg

Algae 2 12-24-22.jpg

Algae 4 12-24-22.jpg

Edited by Terry M

Is that actually algae? To be it looks like detritus 

You said there's nothing in there yet, are you doing ghost feedings?

I wouldn't be too worried about diatom algae. It will figure itself out once this start balancing

You also don't really need to do water changes yet if you're just waiting for it to be ready for fish.

What size is the tank? Amano shrimp are good for most tanks and they are big enough that most smaller fish don't bother them