Fin and tail ailments/ regeneration

CJs Aquatics

Hello all, so I’ve been visiting quite a few forums this week and have noticed a significant amount of fishkeepers (myself included) seem to be struggling with issues pertaining to fins and tails. Rather then reading through countless forums in search of an answer, I’m hoping by posting this In the general discussion tab it is viewed by the right audience. Basically for me, I’ve dealt with fin “rot” issues in the past, and the solution personally has been meds, however what I haven’t dealt with is fin and tail issues from aggression. I have a pufferfish that’s  been in quarantine, super active, healthy eater, always hunting etc, however it’s belly seems to be sunken and it’s tail is all but missing (probably from fighting other puffers) and seems to be a bit fuzzy like it’s eighter trying to heal or getting worse…Past experience and research has led me to believe most fish are capable of regrowing fins and tails. My question is very vaguely, when you notice fins or tail issues, what steps to you take to accelerate that regrowth and help get your fish back to healthy? Thanks in advanced 

All I do is up my water change schedule. Plenty of fresh clean water will promote faster regeneration.

Think of corys stressors theory. If the fish is already stressed with one thing it’s not going to fight off infections quite as well. So if we’re keeping its quarantine environment as clean as possible then all its energy can go into making new tissues.

• Thanks 1

I agree with Adam fully in regards to upping water changes.

I recently had a Molly get stuck between 2 rocks. I think she was there a full day. She was quite torn up, patchy, and very stressed. Progressively, within 3 days of finding her, she lost all of her tail. Yes...all of it.

I did meth Blue dips 3x a day, and changed 50 percent of the hospital tank water daily, with 1 TBSP per 2 gal salt. I also kept her in a breeder box at the top, so she didn't have to swim much.

Within 3 days, you can see her tail starting again, clear. It did take about a month, but her tail came back fully. I did the 50 daily changes for about 2 week or so. I never thought the fish would make it, and very glad she did.

• Thanks 1