another update - multiple things going on..

SC Fish

so i still havnt done the water change because i decided on doing a large one tommorow when i actually have the time to do it properly.

1st image:

on the plant,well next to it anyways, at the bottom of it near the black sand there are some weird spikey looking structures? not sure what it is.. but i dont see anything very similar elsewhere.

image.jpeg.e94e5fff69f0054fbf1d2006bb965ddb.jpeg

2nd image:

image.jpeg.d44061f1affa7705ab8624997c96e6fd.jpeg

now on the root, above the tetra, attached to what i think is amazon sword, may be wrong, i see small little stings coming out of it?? no clue what it is.. but i dont know if it should worry me. 

3rd image:

attached to the underneath of the growing plants on the same plant as the one on image 2 there is a root that is covered in biofilm or fungus, which is the worse case ive seen in the tank so far.

image.jpeg.5ceafef5823482b15953e95ef16d2564.jpeg

not sure what ill do with all these issues... i have 4 shrimp, (3 amano 1 cherry) i know everyone wants me to add more to cope with these issues but i dont need anything dying in the tank, its just not safe in my opinion. 

does anyone know what i can do??

I think everything in your photos is normal root morphology. In the first two photos, the spiky branchy things are exactly that: branches and forks of the roots that the plants are growing. In the first photo the plant has developed new roots from the stem. The fuzzy growth in the third photo is actually (appears to be) very fine root hairs, not fungus on the roots. 

In most plants, the smallest roots (often nearly microscopic) do most of the legwork in terms of absorbing water and nutrients. Larger roots have less surface area, and are more for transporting what the small routes have absorbed to the parts of the plant that need it.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2022 at 11:09 PM, TOtrees said:

I think everything in your photos is normal root morphology. In the first two photos, the spiky branchy things are exactly that: branches and forks of the roots that the plants are growing. In the first photo the plant has developed new roots from the stem. The fuzzy growth in the third photo is actually (appears to be) very fine root hairs, not fungus on the roots. 

In most plants, the smallest roots (often nearly microscopic) do most of the legwork in terms of absorbing water and nutrients. Larger roots have less surface area, and are more for transporting what the small routes have absorbed to the parts of the plant that need it.

Ok this sort of makes sense, especially for the first 2 photos. But the thing u said about microscopic hairs makes sense and doesnt, its perfect sense that plants have fine root hairs and is very possible this is such . But on my (aquatic) grass plant in the same tank,this fuzz was growing on it too on the actual  plant (pictures in my last post) and it looked very similar just it was on the plant not the roots.

is there some sort of test i can do to comform this? Perhaps feeling it or something?

Edited by SC Fish

Fungus would be unlikely to grow on vegetable matter like plant leaves in a tank. There’s a few kinds that show up on driftwood when it’s newly added to a tank, but fungus in green leaves or stems would be rare. You could see mulm and detritus on leaf surfaces. But even dead and rotting leaves in a tanks don’t usually fungus. They just go mushy and break down. Uneaten fish food though, that absolutely will grow fungus. 

What about algae? Could that be what’s growing on the plants? 

Agreed with @TOtrees that those are all just roots. 

Remember that plants are living things, and plants have to adapt to your water. They’ll melt back and leaves will die off and they’ll need to be trimmed, but as you balance your tank things become easier and better. 

My overall suggestion would be to just enjoy the journey, find plants that do well in your water, and give them time to grow and prosper and for your tank to balance. You’re playing with nature, and you’re on her clock. 

On 11/10/2022 at 11:30 PM, TOtrees said:

Fungus would be unlikely to grow on vegetable matter like plant leaves in a tank. There’s a few kinds that show up on driftwood when it’s newly added to a tank, but fungus in green leaves or stems would be rare. You could see mulm and detritus on leaf surfaces. But even dead and rotting leaves in a tanks don’t usually fungus. They just go mushy and break down. Uneaten fish food though, that absolutely will grow fungus. 

What about algae? Could that be what’s growing on the plants? 

I domt seem to really have algae, just some brown but since i removed it from plants its only grown a bit on glass and stones. Also the fuzz i remembered also grew on some of the plant leaves, very thin layer tho

On 11/10/2022 at 11:30 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

Agreed with @TOtrees that those are all just roots. 

Remember that plants are living things, and plants have to adapt to your water. They’ll melt back and leaves will die off and they’ll need to be trimmed, but as you balance your tank things become easier and better. 

My overall suggestion would be to just enjoy the journey, find plants that do well in your water, and give them time to grow and prosper and for your tank to balance. You’re playing with nature, and you’re on her clock. 

Trust me, this is very fun. Even the idea of havng a potentiall issue with it almost excites me, dont worry it scares me to but i think you understand.  I have cut back the grass a bit ane also one of the tall plants, it makes sense why they are starting to melt