Deciding to get an RO system for the fish tanks. Need advice on what to get to meet my needs

KittenFishMom

After looking at so many test strips and test tubes. We have decided to get an RO water system for the fish. I think we want something small, probably portable because there is no place to set it up long term in the cottage. Our water system pressure is about 35 , not 60 like most homes. So we need a system that will work with lower pressure. Tomorrow I will call the town and / or county to find out if the RO waste water has to go in our holding tank or if we can just run it outside someplace. Temp tonight is 28f, so we need to figure out how to deal with the waste water when there is snow and ice everywhere too.

I welcome all opinions and advice of how to approach getting an RO system that will produce enough water for a 55 gallon tank and 2 03 3 10 gallon tanks.

On 11/9/2022 at 5:16 AM, KittenFishMom said:

After looking at so many test strips and test tubes. We have decided to get an RO water system for the fish. I think we want something small, probably portable because there is no place to set it up long term in the cottage. Our water system pressure is about 35 , not 60 like most homes. So we need a system that will work with lower pressure. Tomorrow I will call the town and / or county to find out if the RO waste water has to go in our holding tank or if we can just run it outside someplace. Temp tonight is 28f, so we need to figure out how to deal with the waste water when there is snow and ice everywhere too.

I welcome all opinions and advice of how to approach getting an RO system that will produce enough water for a 55 gallon tank and 2 03 3 10 gallon tanks.

Rainwater is practically the same as RO water. As soon as there's a storm or something, rush outside with a nice big bucket!

• Haha 1

Check out Bulk Reef Supply, they are probably one of the best companies to work with for RO/Di systems for aquariums. I have had a unit of theirs for years, since my saltwater reef keeping days and still use it. With the low water pressure from the well, you will want to have a booster pump, otherwise you are going to make so much waste water. I have the same issue with having a well, and at first tried to get by without, and it took almost three hours to get five gallons of useable water, once I put the booster pump kit on, it takes maybe half an hour. I know a lot of people will collect the waste water and use it for house plants and tehir gardens so that it doesn't get wasted. 

• Thanks 1