10 gallon idea?

Cinnebuns

I'm having an extreme baby shortage right now in all species. I am resisting the urge to fill the tanks with other things because I know there eventually will be babies but I had a sudden idea. Wondering if this would work. 

In my main tank I have reticulated hillstream loaches and otos. I'm considering putting both species in one of the mostly empty 10 gallon tanks to attempt to get them to breed. I never really actively tried with either species but I've read that the hillstreams are super easy. Is it possible to do both species in 1 10 gal?

Right now the tank only has 1 or 2 panda cory fry and a few ramshorn snails. I have been trying to pull the ramshorn snails out of this tank slowly. I'm sure if I wanted to try this breeding I would have to be more aggressive with my ridding this tank of them as they would likely eat eggs and maybe fry.  Is this true?  

Any other thoughts?

I will add this:  if I do decide to do this I do not look forward to trying to catch those damn hillstream loaches again. They are tough!! 

Edited by Cinnebuns

On 11/2/2022 at 1:02 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

@xXInkedPhoenixX has a whole journal on Oto breeding, so I expect it should be possible, and I managed to breed hillstream loaches with splash tetras (did quite well 😊!)

How much flow did you give them?  I realized that may be a factor in the eggs hatching. I'm considering doing a over sized hob on the small end on one side and a sponge filter on the other end. 

On 11/2/2022 at 7:32 AM, Cinnebuns said:

How much flow did you give them?  I realized that may be a factor in the eggs hatching. I'm considering doing a over sized hob on the small end on one side and a sponge filter on the other end. 

I just used an average JUWEL aquarium filter (didn't have much choice!!) with medium to low flow.

On 11/2/2022 at 8:17 AM, Scapexghost said:

That sounds awesome, do you have any picks?

Wish I did! Bred them by accident when I was a bit of a newbie to the hobby and didn't think much of it 🤦‍♂️. Took a couple of photos which where lost when I dropped my phone into Lake Geneva 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

• Sad 1