Easy Root Tab Floating Up

I have a very thin sand substrate and a few of my easy root tabs have floated up after a day or two of burying them in the sand. It appears to be just the white gel capsule. Should I be concerned that the fertilizer is now in the water column or does the fertilizer tend to stay in the substrate while the gel cap rises to the top? Just wondering if I should be concerned about a nitrate spike and if I need to reapply more root tabs.

thanks!

I saw a video once that suggested poking a hole in the root tabs prior to burying them. In that same video I recall them saying that their harmless in the water column. I just inserted a bunch yesterday and did poke a hole. I poked a hole, stuck them in the water and wiggled them until a little air bubble escaped. I'm jinxing myself i'm sure, but so far none have risen

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/20/2022 at 2:34 PM, kcsquare said:

I saw a video once that suggested poking a hole in the root tabs prior to burying them. In that same video I recall them saying that their harmless in the water column. I just inserted a bunch yesterday and did poke a hole. I poked a hole, stuck them in the water and wiggled them until a little air bubble escaped. I'm jinxing myself i'm sure, but so far none have risen

Very good information, thank you!

On 10/20/2022 at 2:34 PM, kcsquare said:

Yes.  I poke holes in the end and squeeze it in the water until all the air is out.  Then I push them under each plant as needed.  Poking a hole and removing the air makes burying them much easier.

• Like 1