Honey gourami feeding

smm333

Before I get a fish I research it a lot. Mil, my honey gourami supposedly eats anything. When I first got her she only seemed interested in picking at algae. She loves to pick at the roots of my frogbit! As she got less shy she eats crushed flakes with the endlers, but doesn't show an interest in the corydoras pellets or the repashy community food. Yesterday I crushed up some of the dried food from a betta "dial-a-treat" and she went wild for it! I bought it for my betta who is completely unimpressed, lol! I have noticed that she will only eat things if they are crushed up. 

Does anyone with honey gourami have any favorite foods? I just started a vinegar eel culture and I have a micro worm culture on the way. Do you think a gourami would be interested in either? I didn't buy then with her specifically in mind, but there would be plenty for everyone!

20221019_112552.jpg

• Like 1

My three really enjoy Bug Bites tropical formula, though I do have to crush it up a bit to make it small enough for them. They've gotten better about mid-water feeding, but the first time I tried to feed frozen daphnia, they didn't seem to know what to do about anything in the water column, lol. I need to try again now that they're doing it more, but they do still tend to prefer surface feeding. Xtreme nano pellets are also acceptable, though they don't seem as enthused about it as the Bug Bites, and the couple of times I tried flake they were not impressed at all. I haven't tried live foods with them, yet, but they do have small mouths, so small foods like that would probably be great!

On 10/19/2022 at 12:45 PM, KatGoneFishing said:

My three really enjoy Bug Bites tropical formula, though I do have to crush it up a bit to make it small enough for them. They've gotten better about mid-water feeding, but the first time I tried to feed frozen daphnia, they didn't seem to know what to do about anything in the water column, lol. I need to try again now that they're doing it more, but they do still tend to prefer surface feeding. Xtreme nano pellets are also acceptable, though they don't seem as enthused about it as the Bug Bites, and the couple of times I tried flake they were not impressed at all. I haven't tried live foods with them, yet, but they do have small mouths, so small foods like that would probably be great!

I'll look into the bug bites!

On 10/19/2022 at 12:02 PM, NofishB4 said:

My honeys love any and all frozen foods ( big bloodworms all the way to tiny baby brine shrimp). So I bet they will go crazy for your cultures. 

Hmm. I tried frozen bloodworms and she just watched them fall, just like my pea puffer, lol! Maybe something that moves will be more enticing! 

On 10/19/2022 at 12:48 PM, cavdad45 said:

Let her chase live baby brine, she'll love it and it's a very good food

I watched a bunch of videos on culturing live foods. The baby brine lost in favor of the vinegar eels and micro worms. The easiest won out. Hopefully she will like one or both! 🤞

• Like 1