Algea? New tank, currently cycling

Saly

Hi again! Is this algae in my tank? My tank is 15 days old. A planted tank using ada Amazonia aquasoil. Parameters are 4ppm ammonia, 0.5 ppm nitrite, and 40-80ppm nitrate. This fuzz is all over my decorations, some plants, and part of my filter. My ph dropped from 6.6 to 6.0. I tested my tap water and it was 7.2. I'm guessing it's the soil and ammonia that dropped my ph? Will the cycling process stall at a pH of 6? I've seen online yes and no. Also, should I be removing the "algae?" Ive also been told to just let the tank cycle and don't touch it. Meaning no water changes or anything. I have a bunch of mulm (?) In my plants ans in my tank too. I've been brushing them off. Thoughts?

20221017_215810.jpg

20221017_215807.jpg

Oh ok. So I need to do anything to help it along? I'm guessing I should brush it off of my plant leaves though right? So that it doesn't suffocate it? And with my ph at 6.0, is that a problem for the cycling process? Will that stall it? 

On 10/18/2022 at 9:11 PM, Saly said:

Oh ok. So I need to do anything to help it along? I'm guessing I should brush it off of my plant leaves though right? So that it doesn't suffocate it? And with my ph at 6.0, is that a problem for the cycling process? Will that stall it? 

You can. A new, clean toothbrush works well for the task. Diatoms are good for tank cycling. Seeing them means you’re making progress.

On 10/18/2022 at 6:20 PM, Pepere said:

Beneficial bacteria grows faster with higher ph, up to around ph of 8…

It also does better with lots of oxygenation(airstones) and temps close to 80.

Plants tend to like it a few degrees cooler and a little lower ph than 8.

I am not saying a water change is definitely theright thing to do, but I personally would do one myself to drop the nitrates a little and to remove some of the Algae.

Hmm ok. I'm on the right track. I have a sponge filter with an air stone and my temp is about 79degf. I'll probably end up doing a water change just to raise my ph a bit. 

On 10/18/2022 at 6:22 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

You can. A new, clean toothbrush works well for the task. Diatoms are good for tank cycling. Seeing them means you’re making progress.

That's reassuring. I'll probably brush the diatomes off of the leaves and end up doing a partial water change to up my ph back to at least 6.5. 

• Like 1