Frogs, shrimp, and turtles oh my!!!

P0ppy

This is the first time that I have started a topic and hope that I am doing it right. I have a 75 gallon planted aquarium that I love, but unfortunately I still want more. Probably a crutch for most that are here. I like a variety and now want to include three 20 gallon tanks. One for a turtle, one for frogs, and one for shrimp. I believe that I want to start with an aquatic turtle and this is where my problem and question comes to light. Is there an aquatic turtle that can be comfortable in a 20 gallon tank??

Appreciate any insight with not only the turtle, but the setup. 

• Like 1

From what I have researched common musks and 3 striped muds (3"-4" shell length) are the only ones that you could maybe get away with in a 20 long. But I would strongly recommend going for a 40 breeder instead. Neither of those turtles needs alot of depth but the more floor space the better.

I have a 3 striped mud turtle in a 65 gallon (36" wide 18" deep and 24" tall) that is the same foot print as the 40 breeder but I have not filled it to the top so it is probably about 40 gallons of water and that is perfect for him for life. As a bonus my 3 striped mud turtle is very active and does good with plants and small fish tankmates so the aquarium is very busy. They do need a basking area but I have only ever seen him use it twice so it does not need to be to big.

313683A7-592F-4125-B11D-1E78B308AD1A.jpe

7786FAB7-CA6A-4525-BE4E-E870C61E545B.jpe

Edited by Kent
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

I had a Painted Turtle when I was a kid.  We'd rescued it from the pool filter (!).  I had a spare 20 gallon and so housed it there.  Part of the tank was shallow water with another raised area for it to sun/bask itself.  Eventually it outgrew the tank and I had to rehome it.

Edited by The Arthritic Aquarist
Fixed typo
  • Like 1