Honey Gourami Sexing

CodesLee

Hi there, first post!

I have a few Honey Gourami's in my tank, I was hoping for one male but I think I may have multiple. My LFS sold me a couple of females but after digging in I believe they may be wild type males. One in particular will get a black throat from time to time similar to my yellow male.

My question is do honey gourami female's have throat that change to that black color like the males do?

Thanks,

Cody!

So yes this tends to happen. When HG are super young it’s hard to sex them and many will have traits that might make you think they are females 

Question is how big is your tank. I have I believe 20 or so and on the heavy male side. Some aggression but nothing that would cause harm. More of a few dominant males that will just chase others away if to close or to close to their nesting area. 

Best possible advice to get females look at the dark like on their sides, back fin, and try to get a dull color. 

Edited by NotDaleGribble

On 10/11/2022 at 6:29 PM, NotDaleGribble said:

So ye this tends to happen. When HG are super young it’s hard to sex them and many ai have traits that might make you think they are females 

question is how big is your tank. I have I believe 20 or so and on the heavy male side. Some aggression but nothing that would cause harm. More of a few dominant males that will just chase other away if to close or to close to their nesting area. 

20 or so gouramis or gallons?

I really should start doing some gouramis…