Angelfish

CJs Aquatics

On 9/25/2022 at 12:31 PM, CJs Aquatics said:

Hey all, can anyone identify the genders of these 2 angelfish or is it too soon to tell? Also how will I know if they or any have “paired” with each other?57827CBA-459D-4856-B879-D42A925A7051.jpeg.ffd83bb88bce2fa9b83e98af7bb61884.jpegF748C2DD-9F9C-4FB6-B812-892DCC228880.jpeg.ad7bf569049ae09c083a45983ea47566.jpeg39126757-38AC-4803-90AE-D19CF22FF4BF.jpeg.69c5f3f0abe0c4ae2ccbc0e451c2bd52.jpeg

Nice angels. The only way you can really identify angels is when they spawn. I also have an angelfish pair in my tank and they both nearly look the same. You will know if your angelfish paired off when they swim together as pairs. For my pair they swim together to each side of the tank and when they are ready to spawn they will start pecking at a certain spot and fight off other fish. 

IMG_3617.jpg.1c8f879914f3677159f6d5c227942d8e.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@DiscusLoveroh wow those are gorgeous, so I love angels but this was my first attempt at keeping them. I started with 9, long story short only 2 are left but the 2 have been healthy and happy for a long time now they are probably a little bigger then a quarter sized. I love them. I don’t have the best luck but I was hoping I got lucky enough to have a pair/ pair that likes each other enough to spawn but idk. They stay around each other most of the time, sometimes the get side tracked and don’t, but they don’t really interact. They don’t fight, and they don’t “swim together” more of just a one follows the other or is like “hey where did they go” kind of behavior, they seem relatively independent. 

• Like 1

On 9/25/2022 at 12:39 PM, CJs Aquatics said:

@DiscusLoveroh wow those are gorgeous, so I love angels but this was my first attempt at keeping them. I started with 9, long story short only 2 are left but the 2 have been healthy and happy for a long time now they are probably a little bigger then a quarter sized. I love them. I don’t have the best luck but I was hoping I got lucky enough to have a pair/ pair that likes each other enough to spawn but idk. They stay around each other most of the time, sometimes the get side tracked and don’t, but they don’t really interact. They don’t fight, and they don’t “swim together” more of just a one follows the other or is like “hey where did they go” kind of behavior, they seem relatively independent. 

In some cases that might happen to certain pairs I am not a 100% sure. My pair was like that too at first, but then after a couple weeks they stayed close together. Just in case you might want to keep watching and see. Angelfish pairs can spawn and pair off very early. My angelfish pair paired off around 1 month and spawned around 4 months.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2022 at 12:46 PM, CJs Aquatics said:

@DiscusLover thank you for the input, I have my fingers crossed, however worst case, now that things seem to be going well, if I have too I will purchase more from the original source and hope for a pair that way 

Be aware that your angelfish might attack the new angelfish you put into the tank. Normally what you can try to do is turn off the lights and add them or take out angelfish and rearrange the decoration and put all of them in.

• Thanks 1

I have a group of 6 Angels, and the only way I know the sex is when they pair and spawn. Obviously, from that point on I know the sex of each individual fish, too. 

I know the sex of 4/6 of the Angels. The other 2 have never paired or bred with anything else. I think one might be a male (from fighting with another confirmed male, but that’s still a guess at this point). I’ll only know the sex of the 2 if they pair and spawn at some point. 

I’ve had pairs that are paired for a while, and then a new pair forms. For example, my all black female was paired with a marbled male, but now she’s paired with a Panda male. Scandalous, she is… BUT, it makes for interesting new variants and keeps breeding “the same fish” fresh and fun. 

Best of luck to them pairing up and raising some fry!

• Like 1