I can't wait! (Pink Flamingo)

JoeQ

Just snagged me some fresh plants (from various sources) to kick start this years jungle/scape. The most exciting being a Pink Flamingo from Acoop, anyone ever successfully keep it without it melting? Anyone have any tips? Is keeping it as intimidating as it looks?

Edited by JoeQ
  • Like 1

I’ve kept it and am toying around with the idea of doing a whole tank of it, best tips are sort of basic, root tabs, lighting, nutrients as well as fresh water etc. it did well for me planted in a clay pot within the aquarium the pot had soil in 3/4ths of it and capped with gravel… honestly I think it was beginners luck, when I get it again I’m going to plant it in a kitty litter/ laterite/ aquarium soil/ sand cap deep substrate and see how it does…

No one's water parameters are exactly the same, thus crypt melt is likely to happen. Might not be all at once, but this is just part of the acclimatization process and requires a large energy expenditure. You can help the plant not waste excess energy by observing leaves that look malnourished and trimming them. This will prevent the plant from trying to salvage the bad leaves and focus its energy on growing new healthy leaves.

Placing root tabs under crypts will also help during acclimatization. But ultimately this just takes time (CO2 will accelerate this), so stay patient.

Edited by OutBout

I have one lonely Pink flamingo crypt. It seems to want lots of light to stay pink, somewhere in the upper end of what we might think of as low light. Mine did ok until some other plants shadowed it, but then it’s been doing better after I added co2. It’s not difficult, but it’s not as easy as some other crypts. Interestingly I’ve never had any crypt melt. My water is soft and slightly acidic, and I try to keep balanced tanks with just infrequent water changes. I’m not sure if I’ve just been lucky or it’s the water chemistry. 

On 9/5/2022 at 3:58 PM, Patrick_G said:

I have one lonely Pink flamingo crypt. It seems to want lots of light to stay pink, somewhere in the upper end of what we might think of as low light. Mine did ok until some other plants shadowed it, but then it’s been doing better after I added co2. It’s not difficult, but it’s not as easy as some other crypts. Interestingly I’ve never had any crypt melt. My water is soft and slightly acidic, and I try to keep balanced tanks with just infrequent water changes. I’m not sure if I’ve just been lucky or it’s the water chemistry. 

Thanks, no co2 for me (that's cheating)! 🤣 I got mine last Saturday and it was a bit under developed for sale IMO, but perked back up in the next day or 2. Hopefully I'll get at least 3 seasons out of her before she fully melts (I have trouble keeping plants when temps are 80s+) As for crypt melt in other crypts, I have only had that happen from going crazy on ferts (i think that was the cause) at the same time my other plants loved it! Go figure 🤷

On 9/2/2022 at 4:56 AM, CJs Aquatics said:

I’ve kept it and am toying around with the idea of doing a whole tank of it, best tips are sort of basic, root tabs, lighting, nutrients as well as fresh water etc. it did well for me planted in a clay pot within the aquarium the pot had soil in 3/4ths of it and capped with gravel… honestly I think it was beginners luck, when I get it again I’m going to plant it in a kitty litter/ laterite/ aquarium soil/ sand cap deep substrate and see how it does…

Plenum setup?