Flashing female guppies

Zac

Hey all, 

I posted about this a while ago but I wanted to do a quick follow up since I didn’t get too much feedback. I have pregnant female guppies flashing. The male is not flashing. I’m pretty sure the females are around 3-4 weeks pregnant but I can’t tell. I’d say they’ve been flashing around 4-5 days now. Nitrates are 25, ammonia and nitrite at 0. Now I’ve been told that flashing can be a symptom that a female guppy is ready to give birth. They’re showing no other signs of disease. I can’t treat with salt since I have plants and shrimp. Should I throw in a course of general cure? Or wait until after they give birth to see if the flashing subsides?

I purchased guppies recently which exhibited the same symptoms, same exact scenario. what I did that seemed to help was changed there food to matrine by Dr. Bassleer exclusively for 10 days then upped there water changes. They gave birth to 24 healthy fry. Two fry didn’t make it, but the flashing subsided. I never determined the exact cause. 

• Like 1

On 8/23/2022 at 6:37 PM, CJs Aquatics said:

I purchased guppies recently which exhibited the same symptoms, same exact scenario. what I did that seemed to help was changed there food to matrine by Dr. Bassleer exclusively for 10 days then upped there water changes. They gave birth to 24 healthy fry. Two fry didn’t make it, but the flashing subsided. I never determined the exact cause. 

How often did you do water changes? I do mine roughly every week