Ramshorn Snails

I recently attended my first fish club swap meet. I had a blast. While I was there, I stumbled across these colorful ramshorn snails (I love snails). Until then I was unaware of the different varieties and colors that ramshorn snails can be. I purchased some red and "blue" snails and added them to a cherry shrimp tank at home. 

This is a true testament to how new I am to the hobby and how much I just haven't seen. My "blue snails" are just normal snails with very unhealthy shells. The "red" snails are actually a different color but as these snails grow healthier the red shells are turning to more of a chestnut color and the blue shells are turning the normal dark brown color.

I'm still happy with at least the one new variety in my tank. 

Does anybody know where I can obtain other strains of ramshorn snails?

Red Blue Ramshorn.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/16/2022 at 11:25 AM, SimmonsSnailsNScales said:

I recently attended my first fish club swap meet. I had a blast. While I was there, I stumbled across these colorful ramshorn snails (I love snails). Until then I was unaware of the different varieties and colors that ramshorn snails can be. I purchased some red and "blue" snails and added them to a cherry shrimp tank at home. 

This is a true testament to how new I am to the hobby and how much I just haven't seen. My "blue snails" are just normal snails with very unhealthy shells. The "red" snails are actually a different color but as these snails grow healthier the red shells are turning to more of a chestnut color and the blue shells are turning the normal dark brown color.

I'm still happy with at least the one new variety in my tank. 

Does anybody know where I can obtain other strains of ramshorn snails?

Red Blue Ramshorn.jpg

I literally just put up a post about ramshorn snail colors under journals!  Here it is:

So far as I know, it's hard to find colors other than red and blue. I see those a lot on various sites including ebay but the other colors are more rare. If you are interested, either me or my friend could probably send you some of the other colors. I've been able to breed almost every color but gold. I'm working on making the colors come out different. 

Edited by Cinnebuns
  • Thanks 1