0ppm Nitrates?

Nia

To my knowledge, having some nitrates in your tank is good. I've been cycling my tank for almost 3 weeks and I tested my water 2 days ago and had 0ppm ammonia & nitrite, along with 5ppm nitrate. I just tested it and saw I have 0ppm nitrate. I don't have a fish in it yet, but I do have lots of live plants. Is this normal?

On 7/25/2022 at 3:37 AM, Nia said:

should i add more ammonia to make my nitrates go up or should i juts leave it?

Depends on how long you are going to wait before adding fish. If the bacteria goes too long without “food” you could throw off the cycle. 
just remember when adding fish - don’t add too big of a bio load or it could be too much for the bacteria to handle also and end up with an ammonia spike. Easier to grow into it. 

Everyone here has given great advice. I just want to add a few things. 

Yes some nitrates are good and sometimes a heavily planted tank will get 0 nitrates. Keep this in mind if anyone tells you your tank is not cycled since you have 0 nitrates. That's not always true. It's just usually true because most people don't have enough plants to achieve this. As long as you saw ammonia and nitrites go up then down, you are cycled. 

Continue to dose ammonia until you add fish to feed the bacteria. Think of the bacteria as an inhabitant in your tank that also needs food. 

After you add fish, or even before, consider adding fertilizer to increase nitrates. Nitrate is one of the main nutrient sources for plants. I do not claim to be a plant expert by any means at all but i know its often suggested to try to keep nitrates around 20 ppm for plants. That said, I know many who have flourishing plants with 0. With plants it's all about balance and they typically have their balance down perfect. 

On 7/25/2022 at 7:57 AM, Vince C said:

Depends on how long you are going to wait before adding fish. If the bacteria goes too long without “food” you could throw off the cycle. 
just remember when adding fish - don’t add too big of a bio load or it could be too much for the bacteria to handle also and end up with an ammonia spike. Easier to grow into it. 

My fish is gonna come in a week, do you think that's too long to wait? And will my tank "cycle" faster if it already went through the initial cycle?

On 7/25/2022 at 4:32 PM, Nia said:

My fish is gonna come in a week, do you think that's too long to wait? And will my tank "cycle" faster if it already went through the initial cycle?

Once your tank is "cycled" it is actually a continual process. its not a faster process - but depending on the amount of beneficial bacteria it will adjust the amount that it can cycle in the same period so thats why it seems "faster". 

Also, I agree with the others. If it was me - I would dose with some ammonia to both feed the bacteria - and test the cycle. 

Best of luck in the new fish next week!