Can endlers live with Apisto cacatuoides?

Karen B.

Greetings!

I have a 20 gallons high tank with a pair of apistogramma cacatuoides. As the opinions varied a lot about the tank size (too small, must have min. A 20 long, perfectly fine, etc…) I decided to go ahead but not add any other fish as to give them the maximum of space.

Sadly the male is rather territorial and agressive toward the female; he always chase her back to the bottom left back corner of the tank, behind some wood I placed. She is super sweet and social, she loves to interact with me but as soon as the male sees that, he chases her back.

They are both about a year old, local captive bred, I’ve had them for about 4 months I beleive.

The tank is planted, about 79f, sponge and HOB filter, only problem is that my water is a bit too hard.

I was wondering if adding some ditter fish could help mitigate the problem? Could I go with endlers? Or really rice fish are the best options?

On 7/7/2022 at 2:27 PM, Flumpweesel said:

My apistos do not get on with each other but don't bother anything else in the community tank.

I don't have Enders but do have cardinal tetras, and pygmy corys in there so size wise I wouldn't worry.

Do they chase each other too?

what tank size do you have?

I always read that apistogramma and corydoras together wasn’t a good thing… does it work ok for you?

When I first got them they were pretty chummy but then the female got stroppy and now they chase each other off they are in line of site.

It's a 60G long planted tank they are pretty much in constant hiding now.

I did move the male in with my Betta for awhile in a 5G without issue.