Keeping Kubotai with betta fish?

Lauren A

Hi,

I’m just curious if anyone on the forum has kept a male betta fish and a school/schoal of Microdevario Kubotai?  

I currently have 10 young Kubotai in a heavily planted 10 gallon.  There are lots of hiding spots, hardscape, floaters and nooks and crannies making it both betta and Kubotai friendly.  Soft water with tannins from Banana and IAL’s.  

The Kubotai have been in the tank just about 3 weeks now.  I’ve had a young (4 months old approx) Galaxy Candy Koi Plakat in a QT for a week now after purchasing.  He’s a healthy boy with loads of energy and curiosity.

So, I’m curious if anyone has kept these two types of fish together?  Everything I’ve read online through all of my research through the months says they are compatible.  But, after purchasing the betta, one of the shop employees said to watch out for the Kubotai because they can be nippy.  I’d love to hear experiences good or bad.

I know it’s hard to say for sure if all will get along until I try, but just the same, any advice, stories or help are appreciated.

Happy 4th!  Thank you in advance!

lauren 🙏🙏

Edited by Lauren A

I’d also like to add that if things do go awry, I do have another planted tank undergoing some renovations that is also planned as a future betta tank.  This will work as a backup but of course, I’d love to put him with the Kubotai.  

Thanks again.