Please Help (Green Spotted Puffer)

I'm sorry I don't usually use any forums... 

I've a Green Spotted Puffer for a little over a year now. I've never had any problems and he seems to be thriving.

Tonight I was dropping some snails into his tank and I noticed the water was WAY too warm. I panicked... The temperature was over 100 degrees. I CAN'T BELIEVE HE IS STILL ALIVE! 

(Heater malfunctioned. Removed from tank )

I got to work immediately cooling down the tank. I also added some Stress Guard and an air stone. It's not quite down to 85 yet. I am afraid to drop the temp too rapidly.

Murder Face (that's his name) seems to be doing ok, thank goodness. 

What should I watch for? Is there anything else I can do right now to make sure he survives this? 

Thank you. I really appreciate any help. Again, I apologize if I'm writing in the wrong format, etc. I just panicked and I knew I could better help Murder Face with some advice.

I’ve never owned a puffer I’ll preface by saying that,(want a dragon puffer so bad) however I have dealt with malfunctioning equipment, temperature fluctuations, things of that nature so If it’s anything like other fish which I think it would be similar, I thought I would chime in anyway. Don’t Panic… I would monitor him for signs of stress/ discomfort like you are, (rapid breathing, twitching, rubbing against things, lethargy, the usual suspects, as well as physical things). The stress guard and the air stone was a good call, can’t hurt, but in situations like that often it has been my attempting to overcorrect things that have made them worse then they would be just fixing what was wrong. I would gradually bring down the temp like you have and once it gets to where u keep it, double check your other parameters and just monitor. It sounds like MurderFace (awesome name) is very resilient and you may have been lucky this time if he is reacting normally.