Struggling Plant (Kind of)

For those that have seen my previous posts…I think I’ve finally found the solution to the problems I’ve been having. I don’t remember the name of the plant but the bottom half is melting while it’s growing new leaves. Tanks been up for about 2 weeks and I have a pretty bad build up of mulm (causes small nitrite spike and detritus worms to populate and some snails to die). I siphoned most of it out because it was getting to be a bit much (I know that a little bit is good). It’s strange though because I noticed a bit more appear almost overnight, but not to the extent that it was. I’m not sure if it was just pushed by current or really did appear that fast.

Anyways, I think this plant may be the culprit of a lot of it. However I suppose it could be leftover from when the other plants were melting. All the other plants are doing good. This one just got established in my tank and is growing. The bottom leaves are just is dead/dying. And it’s super tight so there’s not really easy access to maintenance. Advice? I did a large water change yesterday and was thinking about doing a small 5 gallon water change (roughly 20%) each time before I fertilize until the mulm is under control. But I’m not sure how to deal with the plant 

1DE32C2E-B516-42A2-954D-A787DC8C1FF6.jpeg

38F08F56-70A5-48B1-86AB-BB838270784E.jpeg

Edited by Zac
Edit

Hi @Zac,

Based upon the serrated leaf margins I suspect your 'sickly' plant is one of the Limnophila species.....possibly Limnophila aromatica.  The Hygrophila polysperma behind the L. aromatica is also showing issues with older leaves.  It definitely appears to be nutrient related, likely one of the mobile nutrients.

What size tank?

What are you dosing for nutrients?

How much?  How often?
 -Roy

On 5/24/2022 at 11:24 PM, Seattle_Aquarist said:

Hi @Zac,

Based upon the serrated leaf margins I suspect your 'sickly' plant is one of the Limnophila species.....possibly Limnophila aromatica.  The Hygrophila polysperma behind the L. aromatica is also showing issues with older leaves.  It definitely appears to be nutrient related, likely one of the mobile nutrients.

What size tank?

What are you dosing for nutrients?

How much?  How often?
 -Roy

30 gallons. I actually just realized there’s a nitrogen deficiency in the tank. Today marks the 2 week period of the plants being in shock from cutting, new tank, etc. So I was dosing pretty light. I’m upping it to 3 pumps of easy green every 3 days. Will the leaves on the polysperma recover? And how should I deal with the leaves on the limbophila? Should I cut the stem where the healthy leaves start and re plant?

Edited by Zac

On 5/25/2022 at 3:49 AM, Zac said:

30 gallons. I actually just realized there’s a nitrogen deficiency in the tank. Today marks the 2 week period of the plants being in shock from cutting, new tank, etc. So I was dosing pretty light. I’m upping it to 3 pumps of easy green every 3 days. Will the leaves on the polysperma recover? And how should I deal with the leaves on the limbophila? Should I cut the stem where the healthy leaves start and re plant?

Hi @Zac

Just let everything grow out for a couple of weeks and then re-evaluate.  Damaged existing leaves will not improve but once you have 3"-4" of healthy new growth trim off the healthy growing tips, discard the old stems, and replant.  -Roy

On 5/25/2022 at 9:33 AM, Seattle_Aquarist said:

Just let everything grow out for a couple of weeks and then re-evaluate. 

I agree. Plant melt is common because the plants in this hobby are raised emergent (partially out of water). When they are completely submerged they will go through a melting period before they spring back. ACO plants usually don't, in my experience, because ACO allows the plant to melt in their tanks and then recover before selling.  Just makes it easier on the buyer to have success.  However, they do include a little card with the plant shipment warning that plant melt "could" occur.  Just in case. Not sure where you got the plant, but give it time.