CO2 diffuser recommendation

I started running a DIY CO2 kit a few weeks ago on a new tank and am happy with everything about it...except the diffuser. I do get some fine bubbles, but also a string of larger ones that just go straight to the surface. I repositioned it recently to be under the powerhead in hopes that those bubbles would get blown out into the water column and have a bit more chance to be absorbed. It has helped, but not enough. 

In general all my plants are doing very well (the crinum hasn't changed much, but my understanding is they take a while to settle in after being disturbed?), but they have good nutrition and light, so might have done well anyway. The pogostemon reaching the top of the tank in 3 weeks probably isn't the best indicator...

I'm only running 1 bubble/sec in a 55, but given the way the diffuser is performing, increasing it would seem like a waste.

New to CO2, so have I missed something in setting up this diffuser, or do I need a better one? If so, any recommendations? Thanks!

20220513_233624.jpg.dfb509946c87ddbaaefcfd79af1fd0f9.jpg

Edited by Jawjagrrl

One thing I've noticed about diffusers over the years are they are source pressure dependant. If you're able to adjust the output pressure from yourset up your diffuser might actually work for you, if not, you'll have to swap it for one that works with the pressure from yoursetup. 

When it comes to pressurized CO2 (filled compressed tanks, not vats generating CO2) you can dial in the pressure with your regulator prior to adjusting the 'bubble' rate. For years I never thought about it until I was at an event where a speaker talked about tuning CO2. I always considered tuning more so finding the balance of CO2 in the watercolumn, never thought about tuning the pressure to meet balance out the system to be efficient at how it works. I ended up buying diffuser after diffuser before this, even attempted inline diffusers, off the shelf and DIY reactors, but working on tuning the system opened up a lot more options. 

• Thanks 1

I rewatched a video Cory did awhile back when he was working on CO2 in his 800 gal and showing the regulator. You may be absolutely right that I don't have that pressure dialed in correctly and I am pretty sure the regulator on this system allows for adjustments. Will try that first, thank you!