Low maintenance filter system for 1 gallon fry container

R Budds

On 7/6/2022 at 2:01 PM, AquaHobbyist123 said:

Hope it works!

Thanks. Yeah it's been working great. The nitrates are still at zero and I've done nothing but add RO water when it evaporates. Right now I have 7 or 8 babies in there. I just wait until I can tell if they're male or female then move them out. The glass is dirty, but it's crystal clear when I look down through the surface. 

20220706_210934.jpg.8e16c45a920f7db460e0ba1b5008057e.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/6/2022 at 2:15 PM, drewzero1 said:

I finally bought a gallon of pickles a few weeks ago. At my current rate of consumption I should be ready to try this around Christmas. 😂

I've been checking out some local thrift stores and found a nice 3/4 gallon glass jug that I'm going to setup this way.

I'd like to find a shorter and more square jar for an actual aquarium with plants and permanent fish, around 3 gallons. The tall one is nice for the fry though because it gives them more time to feed as their food falls to the bottom.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2022 at 8:21 PM, R Budds said:

The tall one is nice for the fry though because it gives them more time to feed as their food falls to the bottom.

That's an interesting point... I've always heard that in general fish prefer length to height, but I've also had some fish that wouldn't touch food once it reached the bottom. I'll have to keep that in mind when my jar is ready.

• Thanks 1