Redhead geophagus

Whiskers76

15 minutes ago, Whiskers76 said:

Hi Fellow members , I'm currently working on setting up a new tank. Could anyone help me with some general advice on keeping Redhead geophagus. 

They absolutely love sifting through the sand, so I highly recommend a sandy substrate. 

In that sense, ever since I got 3 for my 65 gallon tank, the sand got pretty much spotless and I don't have to clean it anymore! 

On the other hand, they sometimes decide they will do a massive hole in the tank, and there is nothing you can to to dissuade them from that, and too bad if you happen to have plants in that part of the tank. They will uproot them. 

They don't grow very fast either and do take a while to actually color up, so don't get worried and think you were sold a dull strain or another species! 

They are also super personable in my experience, always beg for food and eat everything. 

Despite being cichlids, they are generally peaceful, but will fight themselves to an extent. I haven't had any serious injures appear from those fights. 

I also recommend you buying 6 or more. I got 3 and now half the tank belongs to one, the other half belongs to the other one and the third has no territory and get bullied sometimes. I'll probably rehome him 

• Thanks 1

Also one of their tank mates is a siamese tiger fish (datnoides microlepis) and despite having read everywhere that those are only aggressive towards the same species, mine absolutely hated the red head tapajos geophagus (but ignored all other fish), so much so that I had to move him to another tank 

• Thanks 1