Feeding when using the quarantine trio

Widgets

According to the ACO blog, when using the quarantine trio we should not feed during the 7 day soaking bath.

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/quarantine-tank

Does this advice change if the fish (live bearer) drop fry during the soaking bath? Should I feed the fry, or just wait out the remaining 5 days? If I feed during the soaking bath, what is the impact? Do I need to extend the bath or do a second round of meds?

On 3/14/2022 at 7:57 AM, Widgets said:

According to the ACO blog, when using the quarantine trio we should not feed during the 7 day soaking bath.

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/quarantine-tank

Does this advice change if the fish (live bearer) drop fry during the soaking bath? Should I feed the fry, or just wait out the remaining 5 days? If I feed during the soaking bath, what is the impact? Do I need to extend the bath or do a second round of meds?

I think you can feed lightly without any worries during the Quarantine trio.  I have done it before with fry--I don't think it's a good idea to not feed fry at all for a week (you probably won't have any left if you wait that long!).  You just want to avoid ammonia/nitrite spikes if the meds reduce your beneficial bacteria counts, and want to help the fish pass any parasites by not overfeeding. 

So from my experience, I'd say if you have fry, go ahead and feed (lightly) and monitor your water parameters closely.  It shouldn't affect the potency of the meds at all (unless you have issues and have to water change...then that's another good topic to post and get opinions on if it happens--I don't have experience there yet!).

• Thanks 1