Mattress off-gassing dangerous?

Lauren A

Hi,

I have a betta fish in a 10 gallon planted tank in my bedroom.  I have a new memory foam mattress being delivered over the next week from Tempur Pedic.  

These mattresses go through an off-gassing period for a week or so when they are opened from their packaging.  I’m curious if anyone has any advice or knowledge with memory foam mattresses going through this off-gassing process while keeping fish in the same room or area.  Supposedly it is safe but having experienced this before I know they have a very chemical-y odor and am concerned about this harming him.  Moving his tank is possible but not ideal as you can probably imagine.  

If anyone has any thoughts or insights, that would be great.  I do not use a lid (he’s pretty blind and I keep the water level lower) and also don’t have one that will fit his tank.  but if recommended, could cover it with Saran Wrap if that’s safe?   I’d have to custom make a lid with all the equipment in order to fit and am now on a time crunch.  😣 

Thank you very much!!

I personally wouldn't worry in a well ventilated space (if it smells your going to open a window) it's safe for your lungs and skin and you are going to be on top of the thing.

Obviously keep an eye on things and adjust as you go but I think it would come with huge warnings if it was that toxic. They tend to exaggerate these things to prevent complaints.

If you have an air line going in maybe ensure that is getting as fresh an air supply as leads and air line allow if your nervous. Saran wrap is a handy back up if it seems really bad but I doubt you'll need it.

Happy new mattress by the way I believe they are an excellent choice.

• Thanks 1

On 2/16/2022 at 5:45 PM, Flumpweesel said:

I personally wouldn't worry in a well ventilated space (if it smells your going to open a window) it's safe for your lungs and skin and you are going to be on top of the thing.

Obviously keep an eye on things and adjust as you go but I think it would come with huge warnings if it was that toxic. They tend to exaggerate these things to prevent complaints.

If you have an air line going in maybe ensure that is getting as fresh an air supply as leads and air line allow if your nervous. Saran wrap is a handy back up if it seems really bad but I doubt you'll need it.

Happy new mattress by the way I believe they are an excellent choice.

Hi @Flumpweesel,

Perfect!   I’m so relieved you said this!  . I will definitely have a window open and a fan running. 

I really appreciate your help!  I am very due for a new mattress so I can hardly wait!  😀  I hope you have a nice night!!  

Thank you again very much!   🙏

• Thanks 1