Sand for axolotl tank

Goldie Blue

I am reading conflicting information online, can smaller axolotls have sand in their tanks? We are getting an axolotl once we set up and cycle a tank, but she is only 2 inches long right now. So, do I leave the sand out and keep the tank floor bare? How would you go about adding sand once she is over 6 inches? Any help is appreciated, I just want to make sure I am doing what is right for her!

I'd err on the side of caution and keep the bottom of the tank bare until she is up to that 6" in size. Wouldn't want her to eat some and have digestive tract issues. Once you want to add the sand, you can use your hand or a cup to gently lower the sand into the tank and place the sand at the bottom so it doesn't go everywhere. Rinsing the sand is also helpful depending on how dusty it is to prevent your water from becoming cloudy, which you may already know if you use it in your other tanks. Of course just make sure your hand and/or the cup are clean and free of soap residue. Congrats on the axolotl!

Edited by colo3000
  • Thanks 1

I really appreciate the replies. I think I'll go with a bare bottom to start, I just wasn't sure how to go about adding the sand once she is bigger but you guys explained it perfectly. 

Also, what filter do you guys recommend? It is the last thing I have to buy to start cycling, and I can't make up my mind.