Shark adv internal filter

Helan

I've got one that I had in a 40 breeder. I found the flow to be too much for my pearl gourami and removed it, otherwise it was a very nice filter. It was quiet and moved a lot volume. Once I move my gourami I'm going to fire it up again, I think my amazon puffers would dig the flow.

On 10/15/2021 at 2:09 PM, Schwack said:

I've got one that I had in a 40 breeder. I found the flow to be too much for my pearl gourami and removed it, otherwise it was a very nice filter. It was quiet and moved a lot volume. Once I move my gourami I'm going to fire it up again, I think my amazon puffers would dig the flow.

This is without the add on hose?

On 10/15/2021 at 2:13 PM, Schwack said:

The venturi add on or the flow ducting attachment? I ran the venturi so I could ditch a sponge filter. The flow ducting attachment helped some, but my gourami just couldn't tolerate the flow.

The flow duct thing, but this wouldn’t be a problem if my stocking can handle high flow right?

I've got one as a secondary filter in my 60gal and yes that flow is very strong I have stuffed a small prefilter sponge over the outtake and that has resolved it. 

So far its been great bit of a knack to opening the baskets without breaking a nail to clean the media and I like being able to use ceramic and sponge media in there. It is very quiet (after it has had a good burp) but I don't use the venturi feature. 

It is a really good filter for the price in my opinion (half the price of the fluval equivalent), I was toying with using (or maybe two of them) it instead of my canister filter but I can't remove the canister plumbing without draining the tank so that plan has been put on hold. 

I believe it is a well known brand in the marine world. 

• Like 1

On 10/15/2021 at 5:35 PM, Flumpweesel said:

I've got one as a secondary filter in my 60gal and yes that flow is very strong I have stuffed a small prefilter sponge over the outtake and that has resolved it. 

So far its been great bit of a knack to opening the baskets without breaking a nail to clean the media and I like being able to use ceramic and sponge media in there. It is very quiet (after it has had a good burp) but I don't use the venturi feature. 

It is a really good filter for the price in my opinion (half the price of the fluval equivalent), I was toying with using (or maybe two of them) it instead of my canister filter but I can't remove the canister plumbing without draining the tank so that plan has been put on hold. 

I believe it is a well known brand in the marine world. 

I am using it for a freshwater planted tank but yes I have heard mostly praises but does the magnesium weaken after a while?

I really did not care for the one I bought. Mine needed to be cleaned out like once a week to keep it quiet or else it would just grind. My ramshorn snails also constantly got stuck crawling over the magnetic seams of the filter sections and died. I don't even think I would use this thing as a backup at this point, if I had a filter die in one of my tanks I would go and buy something else instead of digging the Shark adv out of the closet.

On 10/16/2021 at 4:06 AM, Frost said:

I really did not care for the one I bought. Mine needed to be cleaned out like once a week to keep it quiet or else it would just grind. My ramshorn snails also constantly got stuck crawling over the magnetic seams of the filter sections and died. I don't even think I would use this thing as a backup at this point, if I had a filter die in one of my tanks I would go and buy something else instead of digging the Shark adv out of the closet.

Interesting but I am not getting snails so shouldn’t be a problem