New/Old Tank Advice

NoobieFish

So around 10 years ago I suffered a catastrophic tank failure with a 75g. The tempered glass bottom broke. The tank was an Aqueon and I managed to get a warranty replacement tank and stand. 

Coincidentally, I was moving out of my parents home and I was not in a position to use the tank for these past 10 years. Hence the new tank has been sitting empty (never touched water) in a climate controlled room for the past 10 years. Now I am in a position to set it up again. What do people think about using this tank?  Any potential issues with the seals? I also have some PTSD from the failure and wondering if I should risk a glass tank at all. 

All thoughts appreciated.

I have a 55 gallon from 1993 still going strong with no issues, I don't believe it was always kept temp controlled. Almost all my tanks are used with no idea how they were kept and so far I've only had 4 leakers out of 50? I found them leaking after purchase. No major failures just drips. Level it well and run it in my opinion.

7 hours ago, Jeremy B said:

I have a 55 gallon from 1993 still going strong with no issues, I don't believe it was always kept temp controlled. Almost all my tanks are used with no idea how they were kept and so far I've only had 4 leakers out of 50? I found them leaking after purchase. No major failures just drips. Level it well and run it in my opinion.

True enough, but how many people do you know that has the bad luck of having the bottom fall out of a tank. I guess Im paranoid now.

6 hours ago, Nataku said:

If you're worried about it, put it out on a porch or driveway and fill it with water. Let it sit for a week. If it leaks, it happened outside so no mess inside to clean up. Doesn't leak? Drain it, bring it back in and set it up.

I am wondering if the silicone has weakened over the past 10 years being exposed to air rather than water. I wonder which is more harsh on silicone. I guess its not an immediate leak that concerns me, but whether there is an increased chance of a near term leak.

Thanks!

I've got a 58 gallon from the... 80s? Has been set up and running on and off since then. Its sat empty for a few years during moves, been refilled and run for more than a decade etc etc. There's some mold in the (still original) silicone but I am not that bothered by it to care about the minor aesthetics. Still holds water just fine. No leaks. 

I've got a glass 220 that was built in the 90s, even has a couple small chips. Been moved three times. I do the driveway test after every move. Heavy son of a gun. Needs a team to move. But still doing it. Still holds water, no leaks.

Tank failures happen, but they are extremely rare. 

9 hours ago, NoobieFish said:

True enough, but how many people do you know that has the bad luck of having the bottom fall out of a tank. I guess Im paranoid now.

I am wondering if the silicone has weakened over the past 10 years being exposed to air rather than water. I wonder which is more harsh on silicone. I guess its not an immediate leak that concerns me, but whether there is an increased chance of a near term leak.

Thanks!

Honestly I don't know of anyone who's had a major tank failure. They've all been stories from online with unknown variables. I've been in the hobby since 17(33 now), and I think I've had a total of 4 failures... I've owned well into 100 tanks with 50 on hand. I've got tanks with corner cracks too, people wouldn't run that I just epoxy and run, no issues yet.

It kinda sounds like you should just give the tank away and buy an acrylic if its going to worry you so much, peace of mind and all.

• Haha 1