Betta cohabitate

Rachel0825

Hi.   I have a question.    🙋🏻‍♀️ I have a male plakat betta.  He’s docile.   So much so he shies from his “fighting” mirror friend.  He’s approx 7 months old.  In a 5 gallon tank.   He’s made bubble nests and I take them out.  Buuuut I was at Petsmart and saw this little plakat female with the prettiest colors and gold and she’s young.  Tiny.  I’ve always know. You can’t have them together but I’ve seen some blogs where people have successfully had males and females together with cooler temps and right water parameters.   I’d love to have her as a girlfriend.  Not breeding purposes but a playmate.  She’s so pretty.   Has anyone here, since I trust this forum most, had success in having them cohabitate?   And most of what I have seen success stories on are in larger 20+ gallons 😒. Thanks. 

I would not recommend that in a 5 gallon at all. There wouldn't be enough space and your tank would be overstocked. That could lead to stress and aggression, especially if you do not know the temperament of the female. I also wouldn't recommend doing this in cooler temperatures especially. Added stress and cooler temperatures both will add to the chance of disease or sickness and could cut the life expectancy of your fishes. Perhaps if you were able to confirm the female had a very shy temperament you could cohabitate them in a tank, but it would need to be a 20+ gallon tank with dense cover. Even then I don't know if this would be easy and you would need to have a separate tank ready if you needed to separate one of the bettas. So unless you're upgrading tank size and willing to seperate them I wouldn't recommend that much at all

On 9/12/2024 at 10:54 AM, clownbaby said:

I would not recommend that in a 5 gallon at all. There wouldn't be enough space and your tank would be overstocked. That could lead to stress and aggression, especially if you do not know the temperament of the female. I also wouldn't recommend doing this in cooler temperatures especially. Added stress and cooler temperatures both will add to the chance of disease or sickness and could cut the life expectancy of your fishes. Perhaps if you were able to confirm the female had a very shy temperament you could cohabitate them in a tank, but it would need to be a 20+ gallon tank with dense cover. Even then I don't know if this would be easy and you would need to have a separate tank ready if you needed to separate one of the bettas. So unless you're upgrading tank size and willing to seperate them I wouldn't recommend that much at all

Adding on, if this is the same tank that has a pleco in it, (I am assuming clown or Bristlenose pleco) then please do not add a female at all, your tank would be very overstocked and i really don't recommend this at all. I hope I am not coming across as mean that is not my goal its just that two bettas and a pleco in a 5 gallon would just not be enough space and your filter would very likely not be able to handle the bioload, I am very sorry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh no no.   I appreciate it.   Thank you.    She’s so cute and pretty and I didn’t think it possible but I’ve seen some try it and blah blah.  I trust this forum and expertise.   And yes.  Haha.  This is the same with the Pleco.  Who is growing by the way.   He’s a mess.  Literally.   He’s not too big yet but I hate to think of rehoming him.  I’m attached.  Lol.   😂   Thank you so much 🙏🏻🙏🏻 @clownbaby

On 9/12/2024 at 11:37 AM, Rachel0825 said:

Oh no no.   I appreciate it.   Thank you.    She’s so cute and pretty and I didn’t think it possible but I’ve seen some try it and blah blah.  I trust this forum and expertise.   And yes.  Haha.  This is the same with the Pleco.  Who is growing by the way.   He’s a mess.  Literally.   He’s not too big yet but I hate to think of rehoming him.  I’m attached.  Lol.   😂   Thank you so much 🙏🏻🙏🏻 @clownbaby

Look around for second hand tanks! It's a great way to save money. Offerup, craigslist, marketplace, ebay... and others. People are constantly giving away 10 gallons for cheap, often bigger tanks too. I have seen people selling 50 gallons for ten bucks. Even if they do have a leak, silicone is an easy fix. 

This way you could easily keep your plec and your betta together :] just a thought!

• Love 1