Help with Oxygen Depletion?

I set up a 65 gallon tank about two weeks ago. I had intended to run an under-gravel filter into my internal filter and then back into the aquarium. The internal filter has a venturi valve on it. It worked fine for a day until I noticed my fish were breathing heavily all the time. It got so bad my Maison Reef chichlids were lying on their sides at the surface, gasping for air. I disconnected the under-gravel filter and ran only the internal filter with the venturi valve. The fish were fine within a few hours. Then I hooked up an "outboard" filter with the intake connected to the under-gravel pipe. Same issue. Fish were gasping for air within a few hours. Disconnected it from the under-gravel and ran it by itself, and within a few hours all was fine. Last try was running the outboard filter by itself, with a powerhead connected to the undergravel filter tube. After about six hours the fish started to breathe heavily again, congregating at the surface. I disconnected the under-gravel again and just running the outboard and the powerhead as a circulator. What's wrong here?? Surely the bacterial build-up in the gravel can't be that bad yet after two weeks?? Any ideas? The fish are so far okay. No losses.

I'm not so much concerned about how to fix the problem; I have put the under-gravel filter on a timer for now, running it for a few hours a day. I am just wondering if anyone else has encountered this issue?? This is not my first aquarium, and not the first under-gravel either. This has never happened before.

BTW - ran the powerhead and outside filter overnight without the under-gravel, and all the fish are fine.

Edited by Bubbletrouble