Questions! Forktail rainbows and BBA

My established 20 long, I bought a pair of Forktails yesterday and noticed last night and today they graze the surface, my tank has good amount of plants, I did trim. I didn’t see them doing that at the store. They also seem to swim right in the flow. My stock is 2 HG’s, 8 Pygmy’s, 2 Otto’s  some shrimp. Have a Fluval 307. Doesn’t seem like 02 issue but maybe I’m wrong? I have good surface agitation.

on BBA I’ve been fighting it, yesterday I did a 4ML hydrogen peroxide 3% on 1 gallon of water for 20 mins and today it’s still not turning red. Did I miss something? Haha

edit; I did not dose in the tank, I took plants out.

thanks! 

image.jpg

Edited by Nate Duncan

The question is why are the fish at the surface? I have never had forktails but I have been researching because I might get some and it is recommended that they are in schools of at least 6. Maybe they are hugging the surface because they are scared?

I don't think the Hydrogen Peroxide has anything to do with it. It breaks down too quickly to cause any issue. 

• Like 1

On 8/15/2024 at 11:43 AM, NOLANANO said:

The question is why are the fish at the surface? I have never had forktails but I have been researching because I might get some and it is recommended that they are in schools of at least 6. Maybe they are hugging the surface because they are scared?

I don't think the Hydrogen Peroxide has anything to do with it. It breaks down too quickly to cause any issue. 

Yeah I know the Hydrogen peroxide doesn’t, that’s another question for BBA.

6 is the recommended for shoaling behavior, I prefer the 1 male for 2 females for breeding. They didn’t have 2 females, they’re definitely not scared a heavy planted tank and floating plants are key. I added an airstone and they’ve since are acting normal. Might have to rethink my out flow. 

On 8/15/2024 at 2:07 PM, mynameisnobody said:

They just arrived, give them a week or so to settle in. This doesn’t sound abnormal to me although I’ve only kept 1 type of pseudo. 

I added an airstone and they haven’t done it since.