Pea Puffer 20 Gallon Easy Flow Sponge Filter or HOB?

Garavar

Planning to start a heavily planted 20 gallon tank for 4 pea puffers. (Don't want to overstock).

I am curious what would be better for pea puffers. Aquarium Co-Op Easy Flow Sponge Filter or Tidal 35? I am not concerned about price so whatever is best for them.

While on the subject should I do 20 gallon long or tall for their swimming style?

Also what is best substrate for them? Sand, soil, gravel, etc.?

Lastly, any plants that are preferable for Pea Puffers?

On 8/14/2024 at 8:37 PM, Garavar said:

Planning to start a heavily planted 20 gallon tank for 4 pea puffers. (Don't want to overstock).

I am curious what would be better for pea puffers. Aquarium Co-Op Easy Flow Sponge Filter or Tidal 35? I am not concerned about price so whatever is best for them.

While on the subject should I do 20 gallon long or tall for their swimming style?

They’re not the strongest swimmers, so the sponge filter would likely be the best choice.

For far as substrate, they are indifferent. Whatever your preference is will work fine.

I recommend dense planting with pea puffers in order to diffuse some of the aggression. Anything that will grow densely and breakup the line of site is great. Water Sprite is one of my favorites with pea puffers. They’ll hunt through all of the branches in search of pond snails, but again any plants will do. I would just recommend you plant heavily.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2024 at 5:37 AM, Garavar said:

def stock more. Low numbers are riskier

They are a schooling fish in the wild. You need to keep them in a more crowded group, more females and less males. In my experience in a home tank they school only when they are under stress like during a water change, but otherwise they like doing their own thing.

I had 11 -3m:8f in a 50 liter shallow tank.

Here are two good guides.

https://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/library/puffers-in-focus/dwarfpuffercare/

https://www.pufferfishenthusiastsworldwide.com/post/c-travancoricus

On 8/14/2024 at 11:47 PM, DallasCowboys16 said:

They’re not the strongest swimmers, so the sponge filter would likely be the best choice.

For far as substrate, they are indifferent. Whatever your preference is will work fine.

I recommend dense planting with pea puffers in order to diffuse some of the aggression. Anything that will grow densely and breakup the line of site is great. Water Sprite is one of my favorites with pea puffers. They’ll hunt through all of the branches in search of pond snails, but again any plants will do. I would just recommend you plant heavily.

Should I get the aquarium co op sponge filter upgrade kit? Or leave it base?

On 8/15/2024 at 2:42 PM, Lennie said:

def stock more. Low numbers are riskier

They are a schooling fish in the wild. You need to keep them in a more crowded group, more females and less males. In my experience in a home tank they school only when they are under stress like during a water change, but otherwise they like doing their own thing.

I had 11 -3m:8f in a 50 liter shallow tank.

Here are two good guides.

https://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/library/puffers-in-focus/dwarfpuffercare/

https://www.pufferfishenthusiastsworldwide.com/post/c-travancoricus

Amazing links thanks.

I have 6 Pea Puffers in a 29 gallon. ACO sponge filter with Easy Flow kit on the left, and an internal filter with a spraybar on the right. Spraybar on the internal filter is angled towards the substrate at a 45° angle to keep the co2 bubbles in suspension as long as possible, and my Puffers have no problem swimming in/out/through the flow. 

Edited by AllFishNoBrakes