Marble Hatchetfish Season

I have been trying to supplement my current population of Marble Hatchetfish (Carnegiella Strigata) for the last month or so. My local fish store is out of stock and I have checked numerous websites online and they are out of stock as well (Discuss Madness, Dan's Fish, Ebay, Wet Spot Tropica, and more).

I know Marble Hatchetfish are almost all wild caught. Does anyone know when these little fellas are "in season"?

Thank you!

50bf863dbe1ff.webp

• Love 2

They're native to the Amazon basin and since that's below the equator they're in their fall/early winter season. I would guess (and it's a guess) the fish will become more available in their spring/summer seasons. 

• Like 2

On 6/23/2024 at 8:45 AM, gardenman said:

They're native to the Amazon basin and since that's below the equator they're in their fall/early winter season. I would guess (and it's a guess) the fish will become more available in their spring/summer seasons. 

Makes sense, thank you for the response!

On 6/23/2024 at 10:48 AM, daggaz said:

Keep in mind that they don't have four seasons; they have wet and dry.  I'd bet most fish are caught late in the dry season, when streams and pools are low. 

Very good point, thank you