A theory about Parkinsoni Rainbows:

Once a few years back, when I was at my LFS with my dad, I asked him about Parkinsoni Rainbows and their color variants. He told me that there are typically 2: orange and yellow, pictured below (not his fish). He previously had owned a yellow that had recently passed, and he had recently bought an orange one. He then told me that he was sad that his favorite color, yellow, had not been seen in the store for several years. He thinks the reason is that a wholesaler farm in Florida that likely bred them was destroyed in a natural disaster, such as a hurricane. My LFS goes through specific wholesalers only, so maybe there was a change? The orange ones have consistently been available, but the yellows are gone. Do you think this is the reason? Let me know, as I really hope he can go back to keeping them.

Here are the yellow and orange varieties:

yellow.png

orange.png

I’ve read similar stories as how certain rainbows ie Glossolepis that most likely were hybridized because of Florida fish farms. Also the quality wasn’t controlled for quite a while. Personally, I’d only buy rainbow fish from 1 of 3 different sources so I ensure pure lines. They are a bit more expensive, but nothing compares to a flashing male at sun up or sun down, it’s quite an indescribable scene. 

• Like 1

Morning sunrise light on their "broadsides" is one of the most beautiful showcases of color I've seen.

On 5/29/2024 at 10:51 AM, Kunersbettas said:

Morning sunrise light on their "broadsides" is one of the most beautiful showcases of color I've seen.

Why is the word light a link to the AqCo one?

• Like 1