Bumblebee snails (aka Assassin snails) with large mystery snail - is that okay?

⚠️ OKAY! Dumb question alert!! ⚠️

I have got an infestation with pond snails and bladder snails. At first I was all good and I was allowing nature to take it's course, but it is genuinely becoming a problem now. The eggs are everywhere and the amount of baby snails on my glass is just irritating. Plus, I'm pretty sure they're the cause of the immense poop all over my substrate, not my four pygmy cories.

That being said I also have a mystery snail named Leroy. AND I LOVE HIM to pieces, I would never want anything to hurt him ever. He is 100 percent spoiled by me, I spot feed him almost every other day and give him lots of treats. I adore this snail!

So with that background info, I really want to get rid of all these bladder snails and pond snails. The trumpet snail population is also on the rise. Of course my initial thought was a bumblebee snail, since they eat other snails. But is this safe with Leroy being in there? I mean, Leroy is HUGE, a bit bigger than a golfball, and I know bumblebee snails are much smaller than that. But even if they wouldn't eat him, would they try to bite him or hurt him? Is it safe to have an adult mystery snail in a tank with bumblebee / assassin snails? 

This might be a really dumb question, but I am new to fishkeeping and especially snail-keeping, and I really love and care for Leroy and don't want him to be hurt. 

Thank you!

bumblebee snails are saltwater. assasin snails are freshwater

No it is not safe to keep mystery snail and assasins together. I had adult mystery snail death in a assasin snail tank and it was big but not even old.

• Like 2

On 5/1/2024 at 12:15 PM, Lennie said:

bumblebee snails are saltwater. assasin snails are freshwater

No it is not safe to keep mystery snail and assasins together. I had adult mystery snail death in a assasin snail tank and it was big but not even old.

okay thank u! I kinda figured but I wasn't sure. so thank you!

also yes I do know the difference between the saltwater / freshwater snails !! just assassin snail is such a scary name and bumblebees are cute so ima call em bumblebee snails yay 😄 for reference i am referring to Anentome helena lol haha ^_^

Posted (edited)
On 5/1/2024 at 11:06 PM, clownbaby said:

okay thank u! I kinda figured but I wasn't sure. so thank you!

also yes I do know the difference between the saltwater / freshwater snails !! just assassin snail is such a scary name and bumblebees are cute so ima call em bumblebee snails yay 😄 for reference i am referring to Anentome helena lol haha ^_^

better safe than sorry. Either you or someone else reading this topic may think bumblebees and assasins are the same snails and could end up buying saltwater ones by mistake since they have a similar look. Therefore I wanted to mention it. Some even call black yellow striped horned nerites bumblebee too. A bit confusing to use that term here🙂 

Edited by Lennie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1