Help swordtail pregnancy issues

My swordtail has been visibly pregnant for about two months and I have been waiting for her to square off so she can drom them but she keeps on getting big looking like she is ready than going small again. I know swordtails can hold their babys but I am coming up on 60 days which seems a little too far and she keeps on getting small again and bloating back up even without feedings. I know she does not have any disease because she is healthy and the very obvious gravid spot that has became large enough to see the babys tells me she is pregnant. Anyone have any idea on what to do.

Do you have a picture? I don't have any swordtails but I have Mollies and Lima Perugia's which are also live bearers. 60 days is a really long time. Mine usually give birth at night and my Limia hangs out by the heater when she is about to give birth so I turn up the heat 2 degrees, but depending on your current temp, that may not be the best idea. Either way, I think you just have to let nature take its course.  

Swordtails are notorious fry predators, so it's possible your female has given birth then she and anyone else in the tank ate the fry before you knew they'd had the fry. The fry survival rate for swordtails tends to be quite low if the fry aren't caught in a breeding trap.

They are able to abort and reabsorb the fry without giving birth. They often do this if they are stressed. Occasionally one will do it regardless of anything over and over. I think these just don't want to be mothers or something. They are a strong independent woman. 

On 4/15/2024 at 7:08 AM, NikkiRae said:

Do you have a picture? I don't have any swordtails but I have Mollies and Lima Perugia's which are also live bearers. 60 days is a really long time. Mine usually give birth at night and my Limia hangs out by the heater when she is about to give birth so I turn up the heat 2 degrees, but depending on your current temp, that may not be the best idea. Either way, I think you just have to let nature take its course.  

IMG_5108.jpeg.949d24a6c322d516bcfe63c669ef4d07.jpegShe is the one with the gravid spot she is kind of small right now and i already have my temp at 80 as it is best for swordtail breeding

On 4/15/2024 at 8:01 AM, gardenman said:

Swordtails are notorious fry predators, so it's possible your female has given birth then she and anyone else in the tank ate the fry before you knew they'd had the fry. The fry survival rate for swordtails tends to be quite low if the fry aren't caught in a breeding trap.

I took this into consideration but I have a lot of fry hiding places and they have 60 to 80 babies so i feel like there would be one stragler at least if this was the case

On 4/15/2024 at 8:16 AM, Cinnebuns said:

They are able to abort and reabsorb the fry without giving birth. They often do this if they are stressed. Occasionally one will do it regardless of anything over and over. I think these just don't want to be mothers or something. They are a strong independent woman. 

Yah but her gravid spot has never went away and her stomach never gets small enough to look like shes nor pregnant 

That is so strange. My mollies and limia get so square in the belly that they look like they ate a lego, but she definitely has a gravid spot and is fairly boxy. I wonder if the absorption theory is legit but she only absorbs a few at a time.  

On 4/15/2024 at 8:56 AM, funnyseedknapp said:

Yah but her gravid spot has never went away and her stomach never gets small enough to look like shes nor pregnant 

They are also able to just give birth to a few at a time. It's possible she's doing this and they are getting eaten. 

My female swordtail that recently gave birth looks very similar to yours. I noticed that when she was giving birth, the male wouldn’t leave her alone. I was able to catch about 25 babies but I know she gave birth to more of them which was probably eaten by the male and other fish. 

On 4/15/2024 at 2:40 PM, knee said:

My female swordtail that recently gave birth looks very similar to yours. I noticed that when she was giving birth, the male wouldn’t leave her alone. I was able to catch about 25 babies but I know she gave birth to more of them which was probably eaten by the male and other fish. 

Omg yes my males will not leave her alone they almost look aggresive with her im wondering if she is giving birth and its all getting eaten.